Slow boot from SAMSUNG PM961

David010203

Hey Guys,

So I bought an Octane III back in November 2016 with a SAMSUNG PM961 drive inside. I asked for the OS to be installed on the machine so when I received it, the boot times were really fast and was very pleased. I've had to reinstall the OS a couple of times after that, (Windows 10), and what I've noticed is that the boot time is now quite long. It's not incredibly long, let's say it's 20-25 seconds instead of 9-10 like it was before. That 10-15 second difference is actually spent in a black screen before the StyleNote logo shows up. With the original OS installation from PCS, as soon as I pressed the power button, the StyleNote logo would appear. Now, after I press the power button, the screen stays black for 15 seconds before it shows the StyleNote logo.

I have a 256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe for my OS and a 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD for general storage. When I go into the BIOS to select the first boot, only the 500GB SSD shows up and I can't see the PM961.

Do you guys have any clue why this is happening? Could it be related to some drivers I am missing for the PM961 or some configuration I forgot?

Thanks!

Lez501

Gold Level Poster
I have a 256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe for my OS and a 500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD for general storage. When I go into the BIOS to select the first boot, only the 500GB SSD shows up and I can't see the PM961.

Do you guys have any clue why this is happening? Could it be related to some drivers I am missing for the PM961 or some configuration I forgot?

Thanks!

It's quite common for NVMe drives NOT to show up in bios settings, it's nothing to worry about.

Try installing the NVMe driver from Samsung's web site (a quick google will take you to it) - had to do that on all my pc's & laptops with these drives