Smart Failure Predicted

Matsaavedra

And I will try this tomorrow...better lightning in the room to see what I'm doing it 😅

I should be able to disconnect the cables and reinsert since they are there already. But I will also figure it out the SATA connectors

I've kept having a thought and though it's not worth mentioning, but to be on the safe side, just try plugging it into a different SATA connector, just in case there's something amiss with that one, or if there isn't one handy, disconnect both the SATA and Power cable from the drive and reinsert them, make sure they're fully home.

1618257715912.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And I will try this tomorrow...better lightning in the room to see what I'm doing it 😅

I should be able to disconnect the cables and reinsert since they are there already. But I will also figure it out the SATA connectors

View attachment 24866
Unfortunately that was on the wrong drive, that's been done on the 500Gb Samsung which I presume is your C drive.

You need to do it on your 2TB HDD drive.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
But I specified D 🤨

What I run was chkdsk D: /r
I think you’re OK?

4096 bytes per unit - 488,374,527 units - makes 2 by 10^12 bytes = 2 TB.

I think you’ve done it on the correct 2TB HDD.

(EDIT - actually it’s even easier than that - your screenshot says 1.9 billion kB total space - so you’re good!)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think you’re OK?

4096 bytes per unit - 488,374,527 units - makes 2 by 10^12 bytes = 2 TB.

I think you’ve done it on the correct 2TB HDD.

(EDIT - actually it’s even easier than that - your screenshot says 1.9 billion kB total space - so you’re good!)
Yeah size on disk is 1953220316 KB which is 1.953220316 TB approx

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My bad, I was reading through too quickly and read the clusters instead of the disk size, sorry about that!

That's more positive then, the physical drive is fully intact.

Try reseating the connectors. The fact it also passed a crystal disk scan, I wonder if the motherboard is getting a false positive somewhere. I would still raise it with PCS either way though just in case.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry I'm a bit late back to the party, we're having Internet issues here.

The SMART data doesn't give me any cause for concern. There's nothing in there that would indicate imminent device failure. Are you sure that's the drive the SMART error was referencing?

The chkdsk /r also shows no cause for concern either. :)

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The fact the OP’s last boot threw up no errors probably makes it less of a surprise that CrystalDiskInfo is happy too?

Would it be worthwhile leaving DiskInfo installed and running it again if the drive error shows again following a boot?

A bit like a car - if the engine light isn’t on, then a fault code might not be visible perhaps.....

It was definitely on the 2TB HDD also....

Matsaavedra

Good to know I ran in the right disk! 😅
Yeah size on disk is 1953220316 KB which is 1.953220316 TB approx

I turned off last night after running chkdsk, this morning I re-connected the SATA cables and I booted the machine 3 times...in all 3 the boot went fine. As NoddyPilot has suggested, I will leave DiskInfo installed and run periodically for a while - even if no message shows up after booting. I will also l get in touch with PCS as you pointed out.
Try reseating the connectors. The fact it also passed a crystal disk scan, I wonder if the motherboard is getting a false positive somewhere. I would still raise it with PCS either way though just in case.

Yeah, the message was very clear to state that the problem was in the SATAG6_6. The fact that neither the software or the command found any problem I will take it as a good sign.
Sorry I'm a bit late back to the party, we're having Internet issues here.

The SMART data doesn't give me any cause for concern. There's nothing in there that would indicate imminent device failure. Are you sure that's the drive the SMART error was referencing?

The chkdsk /r also shows no cause for concern either.

I will see how it goes in the next days (and what PCS says about it), hopefully it won't happen again! 🤞
Thank you all for the immense help! 🙌🙌

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Good to know I ran in the right disk! 😅

I turned off last night after running chkdsk, this morning I re-connected the SATA cables and I booted the machine 3 times...in all 3 the boot went fine. As NoddyPilot has suggested, I will leave DiskInfo installed and run periodically for a while - even if no message shows up after booting. I will also l get in touch with PCS as you pointed out.

Yeah, the message was very clear to state that the problem was in the SATAG6_6. The fact that neither the software or the command found any problem I will take it as a good sign.

I will see how it goes in the next days (and what PCS says about it), hopefully it won't happen again! 🤞
Thank you all for the immense help! 🙌🙌
FWIW - I have the identical HDD to you - and your Disk Mark R/W results you posted at the start are actually a little better than mine - so it certainly seems to be behaving properly.

Good luck anyway and fingers crossed!

Matsaavedra

That's what PCS support told me.
The option is checked by default and it says it's recommended.

I wonder what difference this would make to the situation :unsure: bypass the check I suppose ?

I would recommend taking off a quick boot by pressing the windows button, searching for "power" and clicking power and sleep settings.

On here click additional power settings, and then click "Choose what the power button does"

from here you can then uncheck fast startup.

Let us know if this still continues.

If we can assist you any further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I have fast startup disabled on my system - just because I don't like the hibernation fucntion of Windows. Starting from an M.2 is so fast anyway that I think the feature is a bit redundant and was more useful in the days of HDD OS drives.

I'm not sure what difference it will make either as your HDD is not your OS and any hibernation info wouldn't be written to it anyway - but it will certainly do no harm.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have fast startup disabled on my system - just because I don't like the hibernation fucntion of Windows. Starting from an M.2 is so fast anyway that I think the feature is a bit redundant and was more useful in the days of HDD OS drives.

I'm not sure what difference it will make either as your HDD is not your OS and any hibernation info wouldn't be written to it anyway - but it will certainly do no harm.
I'm in full agreement with this. I have hibernate disabled completely.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I have had problems with hibernation on laptops before, with the system failing to wake up properly and needing a reboot. I never use it now.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I have had problems with hibernation on laptops before, with the system failing to wake up properly and needing a reboot. I never use it now.
I think it can interfere with auto updates and stuff like that which require a full restart also.....