So far - not as good as it ought to be...

goggysan

The first post will only be a partial experience and for now it is not too good, in a number of ways.

I will write about the good parts just as I write an honest feedback about the bits that must be improved ASAP! And that's a promise I can keep!

==============================================

First objection: I was asked to spend some time writing feedback but then it was about to be misused... I stopped leaving my review! Why? Well, the so called "Trust pilot" can not be trusted! It asks for my Facebook login verification and then access to all my contacts and a lot more! This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Secondly: I can't leave feedback/review directly - it has to be "reviewed by a member of staff" first - this is not a good sign, not of a company that is self-assured!

Thirdly, there are problems with delivery that are quite silly, as you will see, which have to be rectified immediately, as no one should go through this sort of thing needlessly!

IN DETAIL:

OK, it took a while, actually way too long, as PC Specs are relying on suppliers (not the manufacturers but go-betweens)... They didn't get a part (BD RW drive) for too long but eventually... It took a lot longer to send it to me than it is claimed on the website as the "usual delivery time", sadly! At least they called me once to tell me about the nature of the delay. That was good to hear. Mind, the guy sounded as if the part may almost never come... A bit less gloomy next time, I think, would be better!

I can't yet - in all conscience - rate the experience overall, as I have not yet fully installed and tested the laptop. That I will do later. But for now, here is what I had to deal with...

===========================================

One of the reasons for an even later delivery was that instead of my name, the PC Specs delivery service (DpD) wrote "N/A" in the electronic communication to their Italian counterparts, despite PC Specs having all my details, my credit card, my email address, my physical address, my phone, my mobile - everything... Whose IQ is so low, who is sooooo lazy and professionally incompetent to put "N/A" instead of a customer's name in electronic communication meant for delivery purposes? I paid over a €1000 for this? I mean... really...

And then, at the delivery point (Italy), the Italian counterparts simply saw the email ("N/A" instead of my name) and didn't bother with it - as they never checked the parcel itself, to see if there was a name, after all, together with an address... And my name was written on a different sticker attached to the parcel - but hey... Why bother...

Luckily, after a few days of seeing the same message in the online tracking diary, I went digging and after much searching, calling, pleading - somebody checked the package itself, after I gave them the tracking number and all... Let's say that it is a shame that packages in Italy take longer to deliver than to deliver to Italy!!! This is not the first time, as we ordered stuff from Amazon UK and Amazon IT and the result was the same...

I haven't had the time yet to install everything - except the OS, drivers and updates. So far so good, as these things take too much time but with 120GB SSD in the laptop it only takes about 15 secs to restart, so it was much easier this time, having to reboot after each driver and update installed...

I must say that the lack of proper response from PC Specs and their "distributors" (DpD) is worrying!!! This sort of thing OUGHT NOT HAPPEN TO ANYONE!!!! This is a systemic error and it must be rectified immediately, as those types of packages may either be returned (the palaver of it all!!!) - or worse, if it takes too long, lingering around in some obscure warehouse...

Mind, the Italian side of things did not help, not only for not checking the package but also for claiming that the "package is on the vehicle for delivery" (for 3-4 days!), when in fact that was NOT the case!!!

So, both ends of delivery MUST IMPROVE BIG TIME!!!

====================================

For now, from the point of view of HW itself, I can only say that the battery compartment was very(!!!) filthy, obviously caused by someone's terribly dirty fingerprints, which I couldn't eliminate. Also, this sort of thing ought not happen as it makes one suspect if there is a lot more of that horrible dirt on the outside, as well as inside of the laptop!

I don't care if it was done in China (the outside of the laptop says "Made in China") or by assemblers in the UK (I have no idea where it was done and by whom), testers or quality control etc. It leaves a very bad first impression, as one opens up the package and starts looking suspiciously into every nook and cranny... At the very least, the quality control should have noticed BEFORE IT WAS DISPATCHED and CLEANED!!!

Also, on quick inspection one could see a SD/MMC slot having the top metal part of the frame crooked... Hopefully it will not be problematic. Must test soon...

More in a couple of days, I hope, if I get the time...

Attachments

• battery compartment filthy.jpg
    battery compartment filthy.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 223
  • SD card slot - top part of metal frame is crooked.jpg
    SD card slot - top part of metal frame is crooked.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 241

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Whose IQ is so low, who is sooooo lazy and professionally incompetent to put "N/A" instead of a customer's name in electronic communication meant for delivery purposes? I paid over a €1000 for this? I mean... really...
While I understand you are frustrated a different tone could lead to a more amicable resolution. I don't agree with the sort of comments you are making, you are free to criticise or complain for a service provided but referring to staff in a derogatory way is not a good way to approach a problem.

goggysan

What if your name were N/a and you paid over €1000 for the privilege?

What if you got standard answers to your questions?

And so on...

rickne

Master Poster
I dont think in nearly a year of ownership ive ever opened the battery compartment. I wonder if mine is as super personalised as yours :p

goggysan

The thing is that without a prompt, full and non-standard response, apology and "we've got it now" type of "we shall rectify the mistakes pointed out in your emails" included - I cringe, as others will have to go through it again and again...

I don't think the laptop will be bad - quite the opposite, which is why I bought it but...

A few things to think about right there - but no real reaction...

Makes you think...

steaky360

A thing to point out is unfortunately I suspect all delivery companies have these problems. They are outwith PCS's control, I understand your frustration however, knowing you've paid for a service and its not up to par.

I can't open your pictures to see what marks you are talking about (I have poor internet currently) but I would suggest perhaps speaking to PCS about it because I've not heard that mentioned before on these forums.

I hope the laptop is up to your standards though.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
What if your name were N/a and you paid over €1000 for the privilege?

What if you got standard answers to your questions?

And so on...

I spent more than 1000 euros for mine, I had a few emails that were not responded and 3 RMA. I was frustrated and through the right channels issue a complain and the issue was resolved. I judge them not on what issues I encounter with the system but how they attempt to rectify those.

steaky360

A few things to think about right there - but no real reaction...
Makes you think...

Hey goggysan, I must stress if you want to get PCS's response on this matter you need to take it up directly with them. They don't always get the time to visit the forums and even if they do they might not see this post (although to their credit, if they do I've seen many responses from them with respect to threads of a similar vain).

I suggest you call to go through your concerns and perhaps even lodge an official complaint if you feel it necessary, that way at least you will get a fast response from them. From my experience with them, PCS will resolve any issues you have to the best of their ability.

goggysan

Thanx, guys!

My concern is primarily with the system itself, which needs to be better, so no one else has to go through it - needlessly. So, this is in the interest of all concerned and if they are wise they will react properly.

However, I wrote to both DpD and PC Specs but - as I said - the response is not what it ought to be...

I might try again, in line with your recommendations, indeed...

Cheers!

goggysan

Close to finishing with dual boot installation...

How high is your Windows performance index/score. guys?

I have the annoying 4.6 - it was 4.8 when I installed Windows and after installing the proprietary drivers it went down... Aero performance being the culprit here. The rest is 6.9. + 7.1 and even 7.9 (SSD), so pretty cool but this...

On-board Intel HD Graphics 4000 (8GB DDR3) + NVidia GeForce GTX 440M (with 2GB memory) - this just doesn't sound right...

What say you?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Windows performance index is not a reliable representation of the performance of your system , just run applications and see how your laptop copes with it.

goggysan

I thought so but to go down after the best drivers are installed??? I mean...:rolleyes::confused:

I forgot the processor: i5 2.6GHz, dual core...

Xeph20

Bronze Level Poster
I thought so but to go down after the best drivers are installed??? I mean...:rolleyes::confused:

I forgot the processor: i5 2.6GHz, dual core...

Maybe your system has the HD 4000 enabled and not your Nvidia?
Or maybe the test only tested the HD graphics card

Which ofcoarse is much weaker then the Nvidia

goggysan

I think it's the latter!

From what little info I have on the issues, it is Intel HD 4000 until it is necessary to put in the muscle of NVidia... Aero certainly doesn't need NVidia, so there it is...

But still... There should be a possibility to get it working for the test...

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I think it's the latter!

From what little info I have on the issues, it is Intel HD 4000 until it is necessary to put in the muscle of NVidia... Aero certainly doesn't need NVidia, so there it is...

But still... There should be a possibility to get it working for the test...

I think mine went down with a beta or new driver as well. Unless you are experiencing an issue with applications or games I wouldn't bother trying to find a solution. You could also try other benchmark programs.

goggysan

Here is one...
NovaBench Score: 630

NovaBench

09/09/2013 13:31:59
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel Core i53230M 2.60GHz @ 2601 MHz
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

8085 MB System RAM (Score: 167)
- RAM Speed: 6469 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 409)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 102207464
- Integer Operations/Second: 338947104
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 950599

Graphics Tests (Score: 38)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 129

Hardware Tests (Score: 16)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 73 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 111 MB/s

Poor?

P.S. Why was my previous post "not allowed" but "has to be seen by a moderator" first...???

steaky360

Sometimes random posts are selected to be screened by mods first.

Have you tried any games? Is it struggling to play them?