so my eco water cooler decided to blow up...

Sweeney47

nope, it broke without me booting up, I was still in bed (~7:35 am, I get up at 7:55 for work) and heard a crack followed by the sound of water, thought a glass had falled over... Wasn't even close to booting it... Hence me saying it was an unprovoked leak!

In terms of cold weather making it brittle, my room is in the roof of a 18 month old house which is really nicely insulated... my room very rarely gets cold and I wasnt sleeping with a top on because I got a little too hot with the radiator on so its not like it's in an abandoned, unheated room in my house...

Edit: As for coming under pressure when I last used it, It was turned on around 10 am, I played Global Agenda for one round so about 30 mins, I then watched The Rock on BBC Iplayer... My girlfriend came round so it sat idle until about 11pm when it was turned off...

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
@sweeney,
A long shot but if you really want to find out why it leaked, you could drop Coolit systems an email, I mailed a good few months ago and got a reply within 24hrs. They may be able to shed some light on the reason.

Sweeney47

Good idea Tom, might try that in a bit...

Thanks

Edit: email sent so will see what they say...

Last edited:

Sweeney47

Well Coolit got back to me within 4 hours which was great, however, they've basically asked for pictures of my cooler which I can do easy enough but they have asked for a picture of the radiator serial number (which is meant to be on the bottom of the radiator tank) and I don't appear to have a sticker... Is this something PCS would be able to tell me or what? :S

Edit: In fact, in having a look at my cooler on google, I think the reason I can't see a stick is because it's on the mobo side of the cooler (did they install upside down?)

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Well Coolit got back to me within 4 hours which was great, however, they've basically asked for pictures of my cooler which I can do easy enough but they have asked for a picture of the radiator serial number (which is meant to be on the bottom of the radiator tank) and I don't appear to have a sticker... Is this something PCS would be able to tell me or what? :S

Edit: In fact, in having a look at my cooler on google, I think the reason I can't see a stick is because it's on the mobo side of the cooler (did they install upside down?)

mines in the same place too, n pcs have defo installed it right don't worry.

Sweeney47

well I had to use a small mirror to take a picture of the serial code as Coolit requested, just need to mirror the image!

Think I found the area it leaked from, it was as I expected...

dsc03302m.jpg

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
gutted mate,

god knows what caused it

let us know what coolit and pcs say and how you get on.

best of luck!!!

Sweeney47

Well I've had a reply from Coolit and they're going to not only send me a replacement cooler but changing it to The Vantage ALC - which from what I've read is a step up? So at the very least I wont have to pay for replacement parts, just the shipping to PCS. Hopefully they will install it without a problem...

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have being following your thread and I was concerned with how your water cooling just burst when not in use. I also ordered a coolit and I am glad you got it sort it. I am extremely impressed by the prompt replies from coolit and their offer of an upgrade.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Well I've had a reply from Coolit and they're going to not only send me a replacement cooler but changing it to The Vantage ALC - which from what I've read is a step up?

I'm not 100% certain but I think the vantage is older than the Eco I.

I'll do a bit of research and find out.

edit - scrap that, I was thinking of the domino :)

Link

"CoolIT Vantage ALC for CPUs

For a number of years now CoolIT Systems have been designing a range of all in one liquid cooling products for processors. Their first product of note was the Freezone which we looked at in 2006, then in 2007 we saw the launch of the Elite and Pure revisions of the Freezone. These were reasonably impressive products however their price level was a little high for all but the enthusiast market.

In 2008 everything changed with the release of the Domino A.L.C., a unit which took a similar approach to product design but placed it at a price level which compared well with high end air coolers. We were hugely impressed by the ease of install and performance when we reviewed the Domino and for a while it was unchallenged on the market. The first product to take on the Domino at its own game was the Corsair H50, designed by Asetek. The H50 offered better performance than the Domino but wasnt quite as easy to install and so end users had a tough choice to make.

During this period CoolIT were hard at work designing their next range of products and the first to market was the ECO A.L.C. which improved on the build quality and performance of the Domino. It also refined the installation method making it a cooler which was incredibly simple to install, even for novice users. As good as the ECO was, it didnt deliver a knockout blow to the H50 as performance of the two units was quite similar.

Today that could change as we get the chance to look at CoolITs new high end cooler, the Vantage A.L.C. In this review we will discover how it compares to the H50 in terms of performance and also look at it in detail to find out what features it has which could take processor cooling to a new level."

Last edited:

Sweeney47

I have being following your thread and I was concerned with how your water cooling just burst when not in use. I also ordered a coolit and I am glad you got it sort it. I am extremely impressed by the prompt replies from coolit and their offer of an upgrade.

So was I, very impressed with the speed of their responses so top marks to Coolit!

@tom - I had a quick look for it and from what I read they came out the same year (vantage slightly later) but they're very similar only the vantage moderates temperature slightly differently...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
@tom - I had a quick look for it and from what I read they came out the same year (vantage slightly later) but they're very similar only the vantage moderates temperature slightly differently...

yeah I edited my post lol. There's a link there may be worth a read :)

It may be a good idea to look into getting a good air cooler, just in case said incident happens again mate.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Well I've had a reply from Coolit and they're going to not only send me a replacement cooler but changing it to The Vantage ALC - which from what I've read is a step up? So at the very least I wont have to pay for replacement parts, just the shipping to PCS. Hopefully they will install it without a problem...

It's great that they are sending you a new cooler. The only issue is whether the leak has done any damage to other components in the PC.

You mentioned a crack and bang noises - it's unlikely that these noises would have been caused by the actual leak and unfortunately much more likely that these were caused by the leak hitting live components (such as the power supply). But PCS are probably the best ones to be able to test and find out whether everything else is still okay.

Sweeney47

yeah that's the next stage, still waiting for a response from them but once I get this new cooler from Coolit, I'll be able to send everything up to PCS and they can do a proper diagnostic and I'll know where I stand...

It was only a slight noise, not massive and from what I can tell no liquid has gotten into the power supply, it hit the top of it but there are no cracks/gaps/holes in the top of the power supply.

But this is beyond my knowlege and I don't want to be messing around with things and ruining them further...

Sweeney47

Well PCS finally got back to me and basically told me to ring them to book it in and that I'd have to pay for courier and parts... Unfortunately until I get the cooler I don't know when it will be available to send to them so it's just waiting now... blah! Annoying having to wait when you just want something fixed!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
why not just buy a new cpu cooler? There's plenty of good performing air coolers out there, then when ya new coolit cooler arrives, just sell it on? Then you don't need to worry about leakages any more.

Then you can send it all to pcs, and they install/repair/test everything.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Yes I did and it was delivered & Signed for by Mellor this time yesterday.

I wouldn't worry then. It was the same with mine, I checked it was delivered but was still showing "awaiting arrival". My pc was collected on Friday, arrived on Monday and I think it was updated as "received" by Tuesday evening.