Solar power charger for Octane 17.3

butterneck

I'm planning to get a solar power charger to power up an Octane III laptop - the 17.3 inch screen one.

I found one that's 80W, 18V DC and 5V USB.
More specs for this one:
DC 5521 round female port & Universal 5V
Open voltage:DC 19.8V and USB 5.5V
Working voltage:18V and 5V
Short circuit current(A):4.8A and 2.1A
Working current(A):4.4A and 2.1A

Another is 52W, 24V DC and 5V USB.
Don't have more specs but this one is currently twice the price of the one above it.

Not going to name the brand or model in case I get banned for advertising lol. Both models are advertised as able to power up iphones, computers, laptops, etc.

I'm looking to save long-term costs using the Octane III for watching videos and basic surfing. Will still plug in when gaming.

Below shows the type of connectors both solar charger models use. Do one of these connectors look compatible with Octane III?

719GKh5Qi6L._SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:

amoshi

Gold Level Poster
Unless it's links from retailers competing with PCS or other branded machines then it's fine.
I'm curious what a solar charger for a laptop looks like, I mean we have power thirsty gaming ones after all so I'm not sure how that would work.

butterneck

Unless it's links from retailers competing with PCS or other branded machines then it's fine.
I'm curious what a solar charger for a laptop looks like, I mean we have power thirsty gaming ones after all so I'm not sure how that would work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5GFAGA/ref=twister_B01AA9BU4U?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SUNKINGDOM...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ANB17V9D8F41WHEH1Q84

Lol looks like either I read the prices wrong or they changed it. Both are waterproof. I can sit in the conservatory or in the garden at a table with an umbrella fitted, and spread the solar panels on the ground.

I'm wanting to get a decent solar power charger that would work on the Octane III. It's just for normal use, not when gaming. I'll leave gaming to when I plug the laptop to the socket. I also have other gadgets so if the solar charger lasts 5+ years I should save up quite a bit on electricity bills. From the reviews they're good enough for an iphone/ipad. Just no one's tried using them on a gaming laptop.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Two things:

1. Is 80 watts enough to properly charge that laptop? What is the power rating on the back of the original mains charger? 4.4A max charging current doesn't sound like enough to me.

2. Having lived aboard my yacht for some years I have a fair bit of experience with solar panels and solar charging. You never (repeat, never) get the manufacturer's specified output current. These figures are produced under absolutely ideal conditions and with the full Sun falling exactly perpendicular to the panels. That never happens in real life. In addition, the slightest shadow anywhere on the panel (even the thin shadow of a washing line for example) or any cloud at all, will massively reduce the power output. And I do mean massively. You will not get the max current for more than a couple of hours either side of noon, and you'll have to keep moving the panels to follow the Sun to get that.

At the prices stated I honestly think these are a waste of money if you hope to charge a laptop with them, especially in the UK where bright sunny days are far from common.

Last edited:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I'd be amazed if 80W would even charge a 17" laptop if it was off, let alone when it was on - especially one as powerful as the Octane.

My Defiance II 15" has a 230W power brick from memory (might be 200 - I'll check later).

butterneck

The charger is...
AC input: 100-240V, 3.0A, 50-60Hz
DC output: 19V=11.57A

I'm not planning to run it on solar power only. It'll never be enough. I'm wanting to charge the battery when it's off, maybe for half a day to a day to have the battery working for an hour or two?

Does that sound doable?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The charger is...
AC input: 100-240V, 3.0A, 50-60Hz
DC output: 19V=11.57A

I'm not planning to run it on solar power only. It'll never be enough. I'm wanting to charge the battery when it's off, maybe for half a day to a day to have the battery working for an hour or two?

Does that sound doable?

No.

The output current of your mains charger is 11.57A, and your laptop will need this current if the battery is particularly drained. The solar chargers can produce only 4.4A under ideal conditions, I'd bet you'll be doing well to get a constant 3A from them. They simply will not do the job.