Solid state drives in striped RAID configuration

Phthalo

Hi all,

I think I'm right in saying that 2 solid state drives of size X are cheaper than one drive of size 2*X. This got me thinking about striped RAID configs, so I have some questions:

1. Is a striped RAID of 2 SSDs as ludicrously fast as it sounds, or does some other limiting factor come into play (e.g. SATA bandwidth or something)?
2. Will any motherboard/processor/whatever be able to make effective use of this configuration?
3. Normal mechanical hard disks are not twice as expensive for twice the size, right? Is this a temporary thing because SSDs are so new, or can we expect it to stay like this?

Would be grateful for some professional comments here!

Also forgot to ask...

4. Is it true that SSDs are less susceptible to hardware failure? Can I expect an SSD (even in this barbaric day-and-age while they're considered new tech.) to last longer than a normal hard disk?

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Hi all,

I think I'm right in saying that 2 solid state drives of size X are cheaper than one drive of size 2*X. This got me thinking about striped RAID configs, so I have some questions:

1. Is a striped RAID of 2 SSDs as ludicrously fast as it sounds, or does some other limiting factor come into play (e.g. SATA bandwidth or something)?
2. Will any motherboard/processor/whatever be able to make effective use of this configuration?
3. Normal mechanical hard disks are not twice as expensive for twice the size, right? Is this a temporary thing because SSDs are so new, or can we expect it to stay like this?

Would be grateful for some professional comments here!

Also forgot to ask...

4. Is it true that SSDs are less susceptible to hardware failure? Can I expect an SSD (even in this barbaric day-and-age while they're considered new tech.) to last longer than a normal hard disk?

Hi!

1.Incredibly fast and incredibly flaky.
2.Most mainboards will allow this config.
3.The SSD premium isnt going down very fast, for the forseeable future it costs a lot more per Gb if you go SSD and i cant see that changing anytime soon.
4.The complete opposite, a mechanical drive will last far far longer unless damaged or faulty. Most SSD's leave the factory with a set limit on the amount of writes it can perform, mechanicals dont have this limitation.

So, SSD's....you wont get longevity or reliability. What you do get is mind blowing speed.