**solved** Imposible boot from new SSD PCIe M.2 INTEL® 670p NVMe

patbon

Hello,

I have Optimus IX and I installed just SSD PCIe M.2 INTEL® 670 alongside my HDD (the original boot drive).

I used a software (AOMEI Backupper) that has an option to migrate my OS from the HDD to my new SSD. Both drives are GPT

I then modified the boot sequence in the bios putting the Intel SSD 1st, but the system continues to boot from the mechanical HDD. I tried several techniques found on the net, but nothing worked.

There is however a message that appears at boot time (***even before I installed the SSD, that message was always there***), that was too quick to read so I took a video and viewed it image by image : it says "Checking media presence..... No media present". Please note it never prevented my HDD to boot.

Could you please help to set my new SSD as the boot drive, as nothing I did (cloning, using migration tools, and modifying the boot priority in the bios) worked.

Thank you for your help

Rakk

The Awesome
Have you tried doing a proper clean install from scratch on your new SSD (using the Microsoft install media tool)?

I'm wondering if your migrating tool hasn't quite done the job it was supposed to and therefore its not a working proper bootable version on the SSD now

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Have you tried doing a proper clean install from scratch on your new SSD (using the Microsoft install media tool)?

I'm wondering if your migrating tool hasn't quite done the job it was supposed to and therefore its not a working proper bootable version on the SSD now
if you aren't aware of how to do a clean install like @Rakk suggested, then just follow the instructions below, making sure you've backed up any data

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Because you didn't install Windows on the SSD the BIOS boot sequence never got updated. And because you still have Windows on the old HDD and the BIOS boot order points to it, that's what gets booted.

I would remove the HDD and see whether you can get the SSD to boot. If not, I would do a clean install to the SSD as suggested - still with the HDD out.

You can put the HDD back after you have Windows installed, then delete all system partitions on the HDD.

Rakk

The Awesome
Because you didn't install Windows on the SSD the BIOS boot sequence never got updated. And because you still have Windows on the old HDD and the BIOS boot order points to it, that's what gets booted.
It did sound as if the boot sequence had been changed to point towards the SSD though in the OP's post (unless I misunderstood - quite possible)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It did sound as if the boot sequence had been changed to point towards the SSD though in the OP's post (unless I misunderstood - quite possible)
Yes I saw that. I suspect it was pointed at the Windows partition rather than the EFI partition and the Windows Boot Manager ....

Last edited:

patbon

I did as you advised, and my system now boots from the SSD. I then put the HDD back and now use it to store files I rarely access.

Thank you for your help:)