SOLVED: WiFi hardware switch - it really should not be this hard!

Roger2020

I appear to have disabled WiFi, possibly by accidentally using Function-F4 on my keyboard. Despite a lot of faffing around, I’m unable to switch it back on again. Feeling like a complete numpty, but I’m out of ideas and haven‘t come up with any useful search results.

D1BF78DE-F803-4E21-BEC9-5DA1D63BAAE2.jpeg
C16B1473-0F90-4E77-B1B0-7747EF119136.jpeg

Mashup47

Bronze Level Poster
And the make of your laptop is?

Try this method if you think the key mite be broken.

Method 1

• Press Windows key + X.
  • Select Control panel from the list.
  • Click on Network and sharing Center.
  • Click on Change adapter settings on the left side.
  • Right click on wireless adapter and select enable.
Method 2

If issue persists, try to check if wireless service is running. To check that you may refer to the steps provided below.

1. Press Windows key + R and type services.msc in the search field or run window and press ENTER.
  2. Scroll down to find “WLAN AutoConfig ".
  3. Right-click “WLAN AutoConfig “, and then click Start.
  4. Check if the issue persists.

Bhuna50

Author Level
If above doesnt work, pop into Device Manager and make sure the WiFi card is still there and isnt disabled / no longer listed or have any yellow triangle for driver issues.

I had a similar issue on my Optimus Pro and had to remove the device and re-add it a couple of times and even tried reinstalling drivers - it eventually came back on. also just check to ensure that a recent Windows driver update didnt mess it up (coincidentally at similar time to you thinking you turned it off).

The other possibility to consider is if there have been any sudden movements or knocks that may have shaken loose the wifi card or aerial requiring you to open it up and plug it back in.

Roger2020

And the make of your laptop is?

Try this method if you think the key mite be broken.

Method 1

• Press Windows key + X.
  • Select Control panel from the list.
  • Click on Network and sharing Center.
  • Click on Change adapter settings on the left side.
  • Right click on wireless adapter and select enable.
Method 2

If issue persists, try to check if wireless service is running. To check that you may refer to the steps provided below.

1. Press Windows key + R and type services.msc in the search field or run window and press ENTER.
  2. Scroll down to find “WLAN AutoConfig ".
  3. Right-click “WLAN AutoConfig “, and then click Start.
  4. Check if the issue persists.
Thanks for the response. It’s an Optimus custom build.

On method 1, the right-click results in a menu that allows me to disable the WiFi rather than enable it, so that’s one potential issue eliminated as the problem.

On method 2, WLAN Autoconfig has a status of running.

I think you’re underestimating the heights of numptiness I’ve achieved here!

Last edited:

Roger2020

If above doesnt work, pop into Device Manager and make sure the WiFi card is still there and isnt disabled / no longer listed or have any yellow triangle for driver issues.

I had a similar issue on my Optimus Pro and had to remove the device and re-add it a couple of times and even tried reinstalling drivers - it eventually came back on. also just check to ensure that a recent Windows driver update didnt mess it up (coincidentally at similar time to you thinking you turned it off).

The other possibility to consider is if there have been any sudden movements or knocks that may have shaken loose the wifi card or aerial requiring you to open it up and plug it back in.
Thanks for the suggestions. Device manager shows the card as present and correct.

There have been no driver updates since 16 May (no windows updates of any kind since 16 May).

I’d happily choose the option to Turn WiFi back on “In 1 hour” instead of manually. I can select this and move the WiFi On switch in settings, but it seems to have no effect.

I used to be a tech admin, so I trust my instincts that this is going to be a dumb user error...
DC1EB603-5D1D-4A71-ADAC-D9A36143579B.jpeg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the suggestions. Device manager shows the card as present and correct.

There have been no driver updates since 16 May (no windows updates of any kind since 16 May).

I’d happily choose the option to Turn WiFi back on “In 1 hour” instead of manually. I can select this and move the WiFi On switch in settings, but it seems to have no effect.

I used to be a tech admin, so I trust my instincts that this is going to be a dumb user error...
View attachment 26437
What happens when you press FN + F4?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You could try looking in the bios and see if it's turned off there.
Question is the optimus a clevo laptop? If so you mite want to try reinstalling the control center 2.0 or visit: https://www.clevo.com.tw/en/e-services/Download/default.asp . for the drivers for the hotkeys.
I wouldn't go messing with installed software unless you've manually uninstalled it.

If you click on the network icon in the bottom right of the taskbar, can you take a screenshot of the notification window?

Roger2020

I wouldn't go messing with installed software unless you've manually uninstalled it.

If you click on the network icon in the bottom right of the taskbar, can you take a screenshot of the notification window?
Screenshots are tricky with WiFi down, but here’s a picture. There’s one at the top of the thread with a couple of other windows included.

Attachments

• 07F4DAD2-5D55-4BC1-B356-E67F66D6D944.jpeg
    07F4DAD2-5D55-4BC1-B356-E67F66D6D944.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 196

Bhuna50

Author Level
I'm thinking its time to remove AX200 from device manager and let windows reinstall it, if you havent tried that already.

Bhuna50

Author Level
This is intriguing, I’ve had a very similar issue on my laptop this morning, it was left on overnight and this morning it had similar symptoms.

Can you start a thread of your own please for support and post your full specs rather than jump someone else’s. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Can you start a thread of your own please for support and post your full specs rather than jump someone else’s. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are strange things afoot at the circle k.