Some questions about Mini PC

csimon

I'm currently looking at the "ION Home Performance Mini-PC" with Atom 330, basically to use as a dedicated server for JRiver Media Centre. So it needs to be quiet, low on power, but powerful enough to stream media. I think this Mini PC with a SSD fits the spec! But just a few questions.

1. I believe there is going to be a new case on the horizon which is totally fanless - is this the replacement for the above-mentioned mini PC? If so, is it there any indication of when it's going to be available (I'm sure you get asked this a lot!)? This will be totally fanless and noiseless/no moving parts, even the PSU? And therefore my next questions relate to the new model rather than the existing model.

2. I'd like to use it headless, once initially set up. Is there a way to shut it down orderly (rather than just cutting the power), putting it in standby, and bringing it out of standby all from the front panel without having to connect a session to it?

3. I would go for Windows 7 Professional as I would need to be able to remote desktop to it. However, is there any benefit or detriment to going for the 64-bit version?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums. :)

1. There is a new case on the horizon, and yes it's 100% fanless. The noisiest component will be the HDD, and if you go SSD then you're looking at a truly noiseless product! It's been delayed though - allow 4 - 6 weeks for stock.

2. Under Windows 7, you normally just have the press the power button once and (providing there are no programs open blocking it) the PC will turn itself off through a normal shut-down procedure.

3. 64-bit is strongly recommended. Irts very rare that we hear of a program not working on 64-bit these days, and if you don't order 64-bit then the 32-bit equivalent will only support a maximum of around 3.2GB of RAM.