Son's Universty laptop

Paul467

Hi guys,

I wonder if someone could help me please. I have been trawling the net looking for a gaming laptop to give to my son when he goes to uni. I was nearly going to get one from dell, but then found some reviews for pcs which all seemed good, so thought I would get one from here. My problem is, I don't know a thing about laptops. I have had a look at some on here, but as soon as they start offering upgrades and different makes of hardware I am lost. He is really into gaming so wanted to get the best I could for around 800 to 1000 pound if this will let him play the latest games out. But I don't know if it's better to get a Vortex and keep it as is or get a Optimus and upgrade it. I know this will probably be very hard to answer but any help would be very much appreciated. For example, should I get a 15.6 screen instead of 17.3 and use the extra to upgrade. Didn't know it would be so hard to get him one. I was all set to go down to pc world or tesco and get one till I looked on the net and found I could get a lot more for my money from somewhere like this.

Thanks,

Paul

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Ok, well, when are you getting this laptop, I would recommend that you wait until April when PCS will be re-stocking a chassis that has sold out called the Skyfire. It should fit perfectly into your requirements. However, I can spec something up now but it won't quite be as powerful. For gaming, you should go for the vortex series. Screen size is whatever your son prefers.

Paul467

Thanks for the reply Music Guy123. If it was up to my son, he would get it now! But if you say to wait while April for the Skyfire to be in stock then that is what I will do. As for screen size, he will want the biggest there is along with the fastest graphics card and processor etc. He will just expect me to go in the garden and pull some leaves off the enormous money tree he thinks I have planted there. I just didn't know if I would be sacrificing other hardware for the sake of a bigger screen. Decisions decisions! It's come a long way since I got my ZX81.

Thanks,

Paul

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Definately wait for the skyfire then, brilliant gpu, can pick some good cpus, 17" screen...Price is around 1k so would be perfect. Honestly, it really would be worth the wait.

Xoil

As Music Guy said the skyfire is what you'll want, Just so you can see what it looks like here are some pics of it :)

photo0119z.jpg
photo0127f.jpg

Paul467

Thanks for the advice guys. I will keep checking back to see when they get the Skyfire. Then hopefully you can spare the time to recommend exactly what I should get.

Thanks,

Paul

AndyL

Thanks for the advice guys. I will keep checking back to see when they get the Skyfire. Then hopefully you can spare the time to recommend exactly what I should get.

Thanks,

Paul

As a rough guide you will want 8GB of 13333MHz RAM, an i7-2670QM CPU and a 500GB 7200rpm HDD (or bigger size). We will be ab;e to give more accurate advice when it returns to the PCS website.