Sony blu ray combo drives eta

basher77

I'm waiting on my vortex 3 that i ordered on 31st of july. I've had to wait for the 680m to come back in stock and then the bluray combo drive went out of stock the day my laptop was built. Was told first taht it would be in stock this monday which was a bank holiday so was then told it would be in yesterday and now today when i asked on live chat at midday I was told it would be later today. Still no update from pcs if it is in stock.

I must say that the guy on live chat today was very helpful and said he would try to get my laptop tested without the drive to speed up delivery when it came in.
I'm getting rather impatient because I go away to uni soon and have been waiting a month after shelling out £1800 and want some time to run the laptop in.

Would really like a firm answer as to when the SONY BC-5550H 4x BLURAY COMBO DRIVE will be in stock.

basher77

It's been dispatched today. Should be here tomorrow all being well. I can't wait. I stocked up on steam games in the sale and have been dying to play them :)
Hopefully it won't impact on my studies :p

neiman

Sounds good. I can't wait :)

Hopefully they have the Blu Ray Drives, 450Mbps Killer Cards in as well as the i7 37270QM :)

basher77

Came today and it is incredible. Beats my friends gaming desktop. Been play crysis 2 on ultra settings with no lag at all. Am more impressed than i expected to be :D

Last edited:

neiman

i just got an email form PCS stating their is a delay on ther 680M - grrrrr now I have to wait until October :(
I want the 680M not the lower 7970M :(

basher77

I waited a month in total for mine so that's not out of the question.
Atleast you will get the upgrade to the i7 3740QM.

neiman

very true :) and it appears the ultimate wireless is out of stock as well (450)

I got a free wireless mouse, just wish they would allow me to put the money difference against say a carry case or upgraded ram.
it appears by using the same spec (including new cpu) I can get it £10 cheaper with 16Gb RAM rather than 8Gb :( (both 1600mhz) so not too happy at the moment with PCS and the way they have been very unflexible.

basher77

yeah i think the price of something has gone down because my spec, but with the 3740, is £50 cheaper than i payed

basher77

Well currently the most modern game i have on it is crysis 2 which it plays on ultra settings with no stutter and temperature peaks at around 70C after 2 hours play time
I get 6066 in 3dmark11 with the original drivers http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/4264718
Other games i can run on full are portal 1&2, microsoft flight, half life1&2, crysis, left 4 dead 1&2 and GTA:EFLC (once i fixed the bug which trys to run it on the integrated graphics)
I'm meaning to buy battlefield 3 soon.

neiman

ok thanks. i have skyrim and bf3 so will test and poost on here after i receive my laptop :)

Hopefully not too long a wait.

neiman

i believe i got the last 680m chassis (ordered mine some time ago) and would have had to wait until Late Sept/October ish (Free Wireless Mouse if you wait)
It appears the next batch of 680M Chassis orders will take longer than 10 days but you may want to speak to PCS about that.

I'll let you know if I hear any more.

Last edited:
I've gone with the 15"6 inch model so hopefully they have it in stock. I'm 6 'working' days in and still on pre-production, just hoping it arrives before i have to leave for uni in 2 weeks.