Sony protests.

randommonicle

Gold Level Poster
So guys just wondering if any of you have heard about the protests against sony taking place later this saturday?

And what your thoughts on the whole "jailbreaking legaility" thing are?

JSG10

Expert
What are they protesting against? Don't actually know anything about it lol

As for jailbreaking my products. If I've bought it, its mine, I'm rooting it and jailbreaking it. Lol

randommonicle

Gold Level Poster
Its over sony originally removing the "other os" feature from the PS3. Then a.....hacker i suppose you would call him, known as geo hot posted videos on youtube showing people how to re-activate the feature. Sony then took him to court and demanded that youtube and facebook hand over the IP addresses of anyone who viewed the videos. Then the shit hit the fan, and annonymous have picked up the protest flag.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136813236391154&index=1

There is the facebook group.

Phil_B

A quick google search produced this http://truthfornews.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/anonymous-operation-sony/

In January, Sony sued 23-year-old George Hotz (AKA “Geohot”) for exposing the root key to the PS3, allowing jailbreaking of the game console. Among the results of a jailbroken PS3 is the ability to develop and play homebrew games. However, it also allows the playing of pirated games.

So you'd think after you bought it then it's yours, which is true, just don't tell anyone what you did to it and how, cos Sony don't like it.

randommonicle

Gold Level Poster
Apparently sony are trying to say all products purchased from them are actually under a "long term lease" or something along those lines.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I've never sat well with the "After ive bought it, its mine" argument. The item you bought is, but altering it in some way isnt.

Im not defending Sony or big corporations, but all things like this do it make those big companies up their prices even more for the legal/legit part of the world.

DED

JSG10

Expert
Yeah a lot of companies work along those lines. Especially game producers. Even though you have the physical disc and its installed on your PC. If you cheat online, banned forever and game no longer works.
Apple go ballistic if you jailbreak their iphones.
To be honest, all these massive corperations can go jump off a rather tall jaggy cliff. Good on them for getting so far and so powerful but balls to them if they're going to stop me playing with my toys that I've paid good money for and worked my ass off for ;) /end rant lol

randommonicle

Gold Level Poster
I agree with you on that. Yes i do understand how it can be used to increase piracy and so on and so forth, but i think if you have paid good money for a product you should pretty much be allowed to do what the hell you want with it. Even if you jailbreak it to play/use homebrewed stuff on etc.