Sound not switching automatically between speakers and headphones

cidlockie

Pretty straightforward problem this, hope someone can help. Speakers work fine on the new laptop, but I plug in headphones (into the front-right headphone jack) and the sound continues to come out of the speakers. The headphones only work if I go into sound properties and make the headphones the default device. I want it to switch automatically to the headphones; every other laptop I've ever used does this.

I've uninstalled VIA HD Audio (Win 8) in the device manager, restarted and reinstalled it; that had no effect. Sound Blaster Cinema came pre-installed but I can't see any settings in that that'll help.

The other thing I just tried was the Win 8 troubleshooter, but that asked me which of the speakers or headphones was causing the problem, and whichever I said it told me to make it the default device, which is obviously not what I want.

Does anyone know what I can do?

mrducking

Bright Spark
most of this problems are usually related to not having all the drivers:
- did you install the latest version of hotkey?
- do you have the latest version of realtek audio drivers installed?
- did you install the latest intel drivers?
- do you have the latest chipset driver installed?

after all that i would install the x-fi3 program
a few possible other things: windows updates, more specifically the .NET framework
good luck

mcatlow

I had a similar problem this week with my new laptop, but it was when connecting a Creative Labs Soundblaster Omni 5.1 External. The sound would continue out of the laptop speakers and not the external soundcard with headphones plugged into it. I uninstalled then reinstalled the Creative Labs X-Fi MB3 software I downloaded from the internet. This fixed the problem. At the same time I also installed the hotkey drivers for a different problem (backlights not working correctly) but I don't think this had anything to do with the sound.

PS - you say you had Soundblaster Cinema pre-installed, but I'm pretty sure you need/should have the X-Fi MB3 software too.

Last edited:

matker57

Hi,
I have a similar problem with my Optimus laptop. Sound works fine on the speakers, however when I insert the headphones into the socket, the speakers stop working, but the sound does not come out of the headphones although the sound indicator in the task bar is showing. There must be a setting somewhere? I'm running windows 7 professional.
Any ideas?

mrducking

Bright Spark
Hi,
I have a similar problem with my Optimus laptop. Sound works fine on the speakers, however when I insert the headphones into the socket, the speakers stop working, but the sound does not come out of the headphones although the sound indicator in the task bar is showing. There must be a setting somewhere? I'm running windows 7 professional.
Any ideas?

Read my previous post, in case you dont understand what you need to do please ask
Had the same problem before and it was a driver issue