Sound refusing to play through speakers

Animal_79

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I've run into an issue which I have never come across before...

• If I run diagnostic tests then the test tones play with no issues.
  • If I open sound settings by right clicking on the speaker in the tray in the bottom right corner of the screen and drag the volume slider up and down then the tones play with no issues.
  • However if I play sounds from any other application - YouTube or a game or whatever then I get nothing at all.
  • When I open sound settings then to the right of the volume slider where it used to show a picture of a speaker (or headphones if headphones were connected), there is now a picture of what looks like an audio cable which if I hover over it say "select a sound output".
  • If I click through then the only output device option is the built in speakers - but clicking on them doesn't seem to change anything.
  • If I connect Bluetooth headphones then sound plays through them with no problems but the cable icon next to the volume slider (sorry I'm sure it has a proper name but I have no idea what...), remains rather than changing to a headphone icon as it would have done a few days ago.
If the diagnostics tests didn't play any sound then I would guess that my speakers had just failed but given that they still play a tone it seems like it must be another issue?

Does anybody have any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

1700519616316.png

1700519754585.png

Animal_79

Bronze Level Poster
Realtek apparently.

1700523747650.png

If you particularly look at number 6 in this guide, you can set per app audio levels, I wonder if somehow system sounds are all fine but others have somehow been muted

FIXED!!!

Thank you!

It turns out that Microsoft edge and Steam were muted. Goodness knows why or how.

Thank you so much - this isn't the first time that you have fixed an issue for me.

Ben