Specifying for minimal quiescent power while using W10 Task Scheduler

GidRea

Bronze Level Poster
I use pCloud. They're a little expensive for what I get in storage size, but more sensitive to privacy concerns, less likely to get politically disturbed, and the help is real people. Although I don't currently use them for private data, I have in the past, while travelling. I don't use them for bulk media backup, because my internet is lousy, so the limited space isn't currently an issue. I had thought with this PC I might change to Microsoft Family, but the 6TB is divided into 6 x 1TB accounts, spectacularly inconveniently. Obviously also rather less private/unpolitical.

You're fundamentally right about the NAS serving.

It's something of a bummer, really, but the cloud supplier don't have a app to install on Synology's NAS. And they're too small a cloud for Synology to offer a specific tested component or app. Gid's Mutual Obscurity Law of Compatibility, I guess.

As I understand it (last reviewed a year ago), the general supported-by-all interface is WEBdav, and they do both claim to support it. But, there's a known issue with Synology's app and WEBdav such that basically it only works in trivial cases. IIR, one enters cloud login details into the app to set it up & schedule jobs or sync'd directories. Clearly there is a form of credential exchange to start {something}, but the cloud server (and this isn't specific to my supplier) applies some limits to how long {speculation: some credential session or token} is valid. But the Synology app treats it as a fatal error and has to be manually restarted with login entered again. Useless.

For me to do the job on the NAS, while logical, requires the cloud supplier to provide a package (in Python on Linux maybe?) for exposing their cloud to the Linux file system. They weren't remotely forthcoming on that when I asked for solutions. Otherwise I'd have to do a better job using WEBdav, which I suspect would be a fair sized task, providing quite high level function on a probably fairly low level stack, given that a respectable-ish company ships like Synology can't get it right.

Whereas since the cloud installation for PC exposes my cloud account to the Windows file system, Scheduler->batch file->Robocopy just robustly blats it: one line of script plus my error checking & logging. So it's a very time effective kludge.

I suspect my optimal paths are change cloud supplier or wait until someone else fixes it. I should rereview now to see if a year has changed things.

(Not really the right forum here though.)

(London Underground have a lot of heat to dump as well, and again, it either isn't or wasn't reused. Even though in London for six months of the year, there's great demand for heat.)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Whereas since the cloud installation for PC exposes my cloud account to the Windows file system, Scheduler->batch file->Robocopy just robustly blats it: one line of script plus my error checking & logging. So it's a very time effective kludge.
If you're just using Robocopy to copy data from the NAS over the Internet in this batch job, I'd not expect a huge additional power draw by the PC at all. The CPU won't really be stressed much at all, copying doesn't need complex instructions, and most PC devices will stay in their low power states (except the networking ones of course).

Apart from having to leave the PC running 24 x7, which we've already discussed, I don't believe the Robocoy batch job will add very much to the total power cost. :)

GidRea

Bronze Level Poster
Oh, yes, I'm sure the copy is trivial. Most nights it has nothing to do, but even a complete folder refresh only takes 30 minutes and I'm not even sure if the PC wakes up the screen or its HDD (I've never watched it wake up). The power draw is from not shutting the PC down when not in use, so it can schedule the job.

This old dog takes sooooo long to boot that in any case I'm reluctant to shut it down if I'm not going away. But new PC should boot quick.

The *original* question related to what a PC draws in various not-fully-running modes, and to what extent Task Scheduler prevents certain modes. In principle, a computer system with a RTC may be able to shut down very deeply (target ~1mA draw @3.3V), leaving the RTC to pop a system wakeup at some time. I'm not saying PC architecture supports it, but obviously laptops have driven some related ideas into the domain. Anyway, we discussed that, not a popular subject here.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Getting off topic slightly but which provider do you use ?
I think it's CyrusOne, not entirely sure, have never actually looked at any signage when I've driven there.

Our physical infrastructure is hugely reducing bit by bit though as we move more and more to azure.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oh, yes, I'm sure the copy is trivial. Most nights it has nothing to do, but even a complete folder refresh only takes 30 minutes and I'm not even sure if the PC wakes up the screen or its HDD (I've never watched it wake up). The power draw is from not shutting the PC down when not in use, so it can schedule the job.

This old dog takes sooooo long to boot that in any case I'm reluctant to shut it down if I'm not going away. But new PC should boot quick.

The *original* question related to what a PC draws in various not-fully-running modes, and to what extent Task Scheduler prevents certain modes. In principle, a computer system with a RTC may be able to shut down very deeply (target ~1mA draw @3.3V), leaving the RTC to pop a system wakeup at some time. I'm not saying PC architecture supports it, but obviously laptops have driven some related ideas into the domain. Anyway, we discussed that, not a popular subject here.
The best you could do would be to turn on all the suspend settings in Power Options and have the hard disks (if any) turn off early. Choosing a power saving power mode should do all of that.

I manually turn my screen off each night, I'd suggest you do the same.