Specs for a Light/To moderate User

swiss_lis

Hiya guys.

My pc of 5+ years is now becoming unstable and unreliable, and im looking at buying a mini pc to replace ( was going to buy a laptop but cannot justify the greater expense) .

Now aside from casual net browsing, i essentially will be only using this for Football Manager 2013 and onwards. The specs will be fairly similar to those of 12. Hopefully for those with knowledge of the game and how it works (i would like to run the game with largest possible databases, processing times to be minimal etc etc) . Please give guidance on below specs i have put together:

Case
Silverstone SST-GD04S Silver Brushed Aluminium Case + 450W PSU

Processor (CPU)
AMD A8-3870K APU (3.0GHz, 4 Cores) & AMD Radeon™ HD 6550D Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® F1A75-M: FM1 A-SERIES, SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
1GB AMD RADEON™ HD6450 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Sound Card
ONBOARD 10 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

£504 inc VAT and Delivery.

If there is anything which raises a concern, or you think could be swapped to improve performance etc. I am basically at my budget id say.

Many thanks in advance :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi,
Would you be adding an additional hard drive? 120gb seems a bit tight, dont forget to chose silver warranty :)

Last edited:

swiss_lis

Hi,
Would you be adding an additional hard drive? 120gb seems a bit tight, dont forget to chose silver warranty :)

I wasnt planning on it. Like i said, id mainly only be installing Windows, Microsoft office and Football Manager. Everything else i have is on an external hard drive and backup PC. I chose a SSD for speed and performance of processing.

Whats the advantage of the silver warranty?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Whats the advantage of the silver warranty?
it increases free collection/delivery cost from 1 month to 1 year in case there is a fault with your computer.

swiss_lis

it increases free collection/delivery cost from 1 month to 1 year in case there is a fault with your computer.

A good idea for just the extra £5. Thanks for the advice.

Do you, or anyone else have comments on the actual specs? In terms of the processor, graphics card etc being suitable to run the game in full detail and at a good speed. And am i right in thinking the SSd will quite dramatically speed up the processing time of a game such as this?

dangro474

Bright Spark
If budget is an issue, I would drop the SSD in favour of a dedicated GPU for improved gaming performance.

Unless Fifa 2013's LOD optimisation is garbage, SSD's will only improve loading times, while a dedicated GPU will substantially improve your gaming experience. Even with Fifa 12 and 13's startlingly low recommended specs, I doubt that the 6450 + 6550D ghetto xfire will be adequate to run the game maxed out.

Last edited:

Yrubdarb

Bronze Level Poster
If I recall correctly, an A8 won't hybrid crossfire with anything less than a HD6570. It's worth checking.

Ash

If budget is an issue, I would drop the SSD in favour of a dedicated GPU for improved gaming performance.

Unless Fifa 2013's LOD optimisation is garbage, SSD's will only improve loading times, while a dedicated GPU will substantially improve your gaming experience. Even with Fifa 12 and 13's startlingly low recommended specs, I doubt that the 6450 + 6550D ghetto xfire will be adequate to run the game maxed out.

Football Manager not FIFA? You don't need a GPU at all to play Football Manager.