Specs

Ali Bongo

I don't know if this is allowed on here but it is a pcs product so will risk it. Sorry if not allowed.

Basically I want to know what motherboard this might have and if it is possible to upgrade the ram in future to 32gb 3600mhz and also the SSD to a Samsung evo 980?

Hope you can help as this may be the only way to skip the wait for a 3080 build lol

Stephen M

Author Level
Are they offering a much better price than PCS for that build. Experiences a couple of friends have had with Currys are not good.

Ali Bongo

I've put the parts through the config

5900x
B450 (my guess is that's what it has but would like it to have a B550)
16gb 300mhz ram
3080 GPU
2TB HDD
512gb SSD
PCS cooler

That comes to just shy of £2000 as well.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The system looks decent spec wise but I too would be wary of the motherboard. As long as there's a B550 in there (at least) I think I would be OK with it. Ideally it would be a X570 though.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't think anyone on here will know, you'll likely have to confirm the motherboard with Currys/PCWorld.

The thing about high street builds, even PCS built high street builds, is that they're built to a price. Note how that one is just under £2000 - that's the price it's been built down to. To hit that price point and include headline components (like the RTX3080) they skimp elsewhere. As you have noticed, they don't tell you what motherboard it has - it's likely the cheapest they can get away with. The RAM is relatively slow (3000MHz), they don't say whether the SSD is SATA or M.2, nor (if M.2) whether it's NVMe - so it's likely a basic SATA drive. The WiFi is specced as 'up to 300Mbps' and that's only 802.11n whilst most decent wireless cards now are 802.11ac. They don't even mention the PSU so you can bet it's the cheapest they can get with just enough power to run what's in the case - making upgrades problematic. And all that is without mentioning what we already know to be the dreadful after sales service you typically get from Currys/PCWorld....

LEIPAN

Just order here, the spec is not right. 3080 does not ship with DVI...

Video connections- HDMI x 1
- DisplayPort x 1
- DVI x 1

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
My guess is someone at PCWorld forgot to remove the DVI part when updating for the new specs (updated CPU and GPU etc)...they probably used a template from a system with a 1660 level GPU which had DVI inputs
That would be about right for PCW