Spyder’s Vinyl Showcase (With Added Toe)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That is not a bad thing! I miss Prince every day and getting the original Batman soundtrack is a great acquisition! If you haven’t already done it, your next task will be to get hold of Kiss From A Rose…

My first memory of Prince is Black & White, Red & Green (Partyman) from the Batman movie (not the album). Loved it before I even knew what Purple Rain was (a future aquisition).

Kiss from a Rose was a real favourite of mine. Others were going on about the U2 release for the same movie but Kiss from a Rose was a proper showpiece for me. So many people hate it too!

Is there an album of it, or do you mean the single?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
My first memory of Prince is Black & White, Red & Green (Partyman) from the Batman movie (not the album). Loved it before I even knew what Purple Rain was (a future aquisition).

Kiss from a Rose was a real favourite of mine. Others were going on about the U2 release for the same movie but Kiss from a Rose was a proper showpiece for me. So many people hate it too!

Is there an album of it, or do you mean the single?
Just the single, Seal didn’t get the carte blanche of doing a whole soundtrack like Prince did. With all those harmonies, a good pressing of Kiss From a Rose must sound incredible!

(On a personal note, I absolutely abhor U2 but due to the movie connection, I can just about tolerate their Batman song)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Listening to Now 7, Absolute Beginners by Bowie..... now hankering for some Bowie.

The guy just has a flow of tone that's unlike anyone I've ever heard. He mis-times deliberately and effortlessly.
Another one to get hold of would be the Let’s Dance album. I’m a kid who loves Bowie’s early stuff, but that’s because I love the psychedelics.

I’m being subjective, Let’s Dance is probably his album with the best production values and it’s hugely assisted by the involvement of Nile Rodgers. I’m sure the Spyder will have an opinion on this, looking forward to his thoughts.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'll get on it for sure. I'm not big on Vinyl singles but there are always exceptions (I can't be bothered changing so frequently). I was never big on U2's contribution to the movie to be honest, I believe it's because I was absolutely team Seal.

In other news. I think I may have just made my purchase of the night with Simple Minds - Glittering Prize 81-92. It cost a few quid (£40 2nd hand) but I think it's well worth it. What a collection!!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Humble beginnings.

JMLIpkE.jpg

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Fine choices! 😍

We’ll only hold an intervention if the records start to outnumber the storage space 👍
Notice that I didn't lowball the storage..... and I also made sure it was modular 😇 :ROFLMAO:

That's the AMD record storage if ever I saw it :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Serious question to yourself @AgentCooper & @SpyderTracks....

Do you categorise your albums or do you just surprise yourself every now and again with a finger through the offerings?

Just thinking that there will come a time when I have no clue what I have. My option is to digitise my collection in Excel or simply peruse my library. I love the tactile nature of this particular hobby, as you know, but wasn't sure if it becomes a bit much each time you just want to scratch an itch.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Do you categorise your albums or do you just surprise yourself every now and again with a finger through the offerings?

Just thinking that there will come a time when I have no clue what I have. My option is to digitise my collection in Excel or simply peruse my library. I love the tactile nature of this particular hobby, as you know, but wasn't sure if it becomes a bit much each time you just want to scratch an itch.
That is a fairly difficult question and I default to the answer given in the movie ‘High Fidelity’, autobiographical is the way to go.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
£204 in 2nd hand Vinyl in a sitting! The highlight being the £6.80 purchase of Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time from Roger Hunt (Genuinely). Always fun!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

This is the ultimate problem for any musical hoarder!

We’ll only hold an intervention if the records start to outnumber the storage space 👍
So currently, my collection is all over the place, I've bought aluminium storage boxes and numbered them and how have 28? all full, about half in the garage and half in the room where the system is, but all over the floor.

Until I get my next house in a couple of years that's how it has to be unfortunately, it's not worth getting proper shelving, there just isn't the room for it.

So currently, my collection is pretty higgledypiggledy, they're mostly just sorted in order I buy them.

My future intention when I've got some proper record storage space will be to do it by Genre, then Alphabetically by Artist name.

I do have every release ever by the Anjuna record label which I think will be in it's own section sorted alphabetically by Artist name.

My intention is to commision this guy from Audinni to build my record shelves against one entire wall, this is the same guy that designed my hifi cabinets, and I absolutely adore his style, I want to commision his to build the record shelves out of the same Walnut that my hifi stack is made from:

This is my Hifi stack in Walnut with Black Glass shelving - The Blok Stax 400

IMG_1810.jpeg

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is the ultimate problem for any musical hoarder!

So currently, my collection is all over the place, I've bought aluminium storage boxes and numbered them and how have 28? all full, about half in the garage and half in the room where the system is, but all over the floor.

Until I get my next house in a couple of years that's how it has to be unfortunately, it's not worth getting proper shelving, there just isn't the room for it.

So currently, my collection is pretty higgledypiggledy, they're mostly just sorted in order I buy them.

My future intention when I've got some proper record storage space will be to do it by Genre, then Alphabetically by Artist name.

I do have every release ever by the Anjuna record label which I think will be in it's own section sorted alphabetically by Artist name.

My intention is to commision this guy from Audinni to build my record shelves against one entire wall, this is the same guy that designed my hifi cabinets, and I absolutely adore his style, I want to commision his to build the record shelves out of the same Walnut that my hifi stack is made from:

This is my Hifi stack in Walnut with Black Glass shelving - The Blok Stax 400

View attachment 30351
Looking at that I feel as though I've slipped back in time! Valves are a feature now then? 😮

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Looking at that I feel as though I've slipped back in time! Valves are a feature now then? 😮
Valves are still considered audio nirvana, they just produce a sound that solid state has failed to replicate save for systems costing in the 10s of thousands. Solid state tends to be cleaner and drier, often more accurate, but valves just give that warm sumptuousness that is to die for.

It depends what side of the fence you sit on, accuracy or musicality.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Valves are still considered audio nirvana, they just produce a sound that solid state has failed to replicate save for systems costing in the 10s of thousands. Solid state tends to be cleaner and drier, often more accurate, but valves just give that warm sumptuousness that is to die for.
Oh I understand the sound, valves are analogue devices, reproducing everything that was on the record (hopefully the artist didn't make a digital master though ;)). I still maintain that most people over 25 can't hear quantization distortion but I'll accept that there is a richer sound there with valves. We knew stuff back in my day....... :cool:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh I understand the sound, valves are analogue devices, reproducing everything that was on the record (hopefully the artist didn't make a digital master though ;)). I still maintain that most people over 25 can't hear quantization distortion but I'll accept that there is a richer sound there.
That's exactly it, keeping a vinyl chain all analogue was exactly what I was after, and it does produce a richer sound, especially with artists voices, that's where the main definition comes into it's own on valves. Quite sublime.

I had a digital amp and speaker setup before investing in this valve amp, and it was good, but vinyl just suits tubes so much better imho.

And as you very correctly say, it's all down to the mastering of the pressing also. Although even for digital sources, an analogue chain will still give a richer sound.

It's all personal taste though, as you say, it's down to what that person can appreciate and everyone's ears and tastes are different.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's exactly it, keeping a vinyl chain all analogue was exactly what I was after, and it does produce a richer sound, especially with artists voices, that's where the main definition comes into it's own on valves. Quite sublime.

I had a digital amp and speaker setup before investing in this valve amp, and it was good, but vinyl just suits tubes so much better imho.

And as you very correctly say, it's all down to the mastering of the pressing also. Although even for digital sources, an analogue chain will still give a richer sound.

It's all personal taste though, as you say, it's down to what that person can appreciate and everyone's ears and tastes are different.
Get yourself (or make) a small soft-rubber-headed mallet. Over time the anodes in thermionic valves can become coated, reducing their efficiency. A gentle tap with the soft-rubber mallet whilst the valve is hot will shake this coating off restoring the performance of the valve.

The magnetic drum storage systems I worked on in the 1970's were all valve based and the most useful tool we had was a soft-rubber-headed mallet. The oscilloscope would show us which valve wasn't firing quite right and a gentle tap would get it going again.

I never imagined that bit of information from nearly 50 years ago would ever be useful again....

BTW. They're valves, only those crude Americans call them tubes. 🤬