ssd advice

omario

could you tell me how much sequential write would be used and the difference noticed in a real world scenario. Sandisk has alot more at 445mb than samsung 250mb on that one

i convert alot of mp4/avi files. would that make use of it?

omario

So i installed the samsung 840 250gb ssd but...once i do a performance benchmark on samsung magician the random read seems low.

Random read: 61988/96000

Random write: 54395/62000

any help regarding this?

My pc specs: i7 2600k
Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3
8gb Hyperx 1600 ram
GTX 670 FTW signature 2
Coolermaster 850w modular psu
Samsung 840 250gb ssd
OCZ Agility 3 60gb ssd
1TB samsung F3 spinpoint HDD
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1

omario

just the benchmark. Haven't had time to use the pc much this week but so far i notice a slight speed up in load time from my ocz agility 3 60gb ssd. But i think even if its just on the benchmark its still pretty low dont you think?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
just the benchmark. Haven't had time to use the pc much this week but so far i notice a slight speed up in load time from my ocz agility 3 60gb ssd. But i think even if its just on the benchmark its still pretty low dont you think?

I'd try to contact the manufacturer assuming you connected the SSD to a SATA 6gb/s port.

omario

read somewhere some people updated their intel rapid storage driver and it increased their speed. Not sure if that would be the case with me as i was already using an ssd before too.

Everon

Enthusiast
Have you got AHCI activated in the BIOS? Maybe give AS SSD benchmark tester a try to see if it give the same results.

Jay.

Last edited:

omario

yep AHCI is activated and its plugged into the the white sata 3 port. I'll give AS ssd benchmark test a go and will let you know

omario

as ssd benchmark jpeg.jpg

heres the results

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Just so that I don't make a new thread, I've also been looking at getting the Samsung SSD. My 1tb caviar black has about 290gb left on it and I have noticed it seems to be noticeably slower at booting up and launching programs. It's fine while gaming but general desktop use it pretty slow.

Does anybody have any guides for doing a clean install? And how would I go about re-installing windows as I don't think I have a disk as PCS installed it. I've read a few guides online and they all seem to contradict each other in some way. I've read the SSD Management thread on here but that's obviously more about once you're up and running.

Also does the 840 come with the mounting bracket and cable?

omario

Just so that I don't make a new thread, I've also been looking at getting the Samsung SSD. My 1tb caviar black has about 290gb left on it and I have noticed it seems to be noticeably slower at booting up and launching programs. It's fine while gaming but general desktop use it pretty slow.

Does anybody have any guides for doing a clean install? And how would I go about re-installing windows as I don't think I have a disk as PCS installed it. I've read a few guides online and they all seem to contradict each other in some way. I've read the SSD Management thread on here but that's obviously more about once you're up and running.

Also does the 840 come with the mounting bracket and cable?

If you get the samsung ssd, it comes with a data migration software. Plug in your ssd, load up windows on your hdd, install the program and run it and its basically just a 1 click clone job onto the ssd. extremely easy:)