SSD correct usage.

seagal

Hi again
I can see that this question has come up a few times but I am still somewhat confused by the differing answers.
I use mainly Steam so what should. Put on the SSD and what should I put on the conventional hard-drive?
Many thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Having games store in the SSD won't bring notoceable improvements in loading times. It depends on your intended use and how much space you got on the SSD. You can have the OS and main applocatoons in your SSD and games (including steam), videos and files to store in the secondary drive . I would make sure the secondary drive is a good one like a caviar black since it is faster than the standard one

dogbot

Bright Spark
A disc, whether SSD or HDD, is just a storage device. Before you can do anything, a program or data has to be loaded from the disc into ram. An SSD can do this faster than an HDD but is only beneficial for large and sustained data transfers. This is why the speed of an SSD is most noticeable when booting and a large number of Windows components are moved into ram. Similarly, large programs benefit from an SSD. When running a program, the CPU/GPU are the significant factor and any HDD can cope with intermittent data transfers but I have to say I do not know much about games.

Normally I would put the OS and all programs on the system partition or SSD. I can then keep everything intact if backing up as a disc image. All 'User' data goes to the HDD's.
However, with steam, I can appreciate that you may have a lot of large programs. If so, you need to make a choice. Either buy a large enough SSD to accommodate the games if you think the SSD will give added performance, or reconsider whether you need an SSD at all if putting them on an HDD where they will not benefit from having an SSD.

Buzz

Master
Am I right in saying you have or are getting the 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD? I currently have windows installed and tweaked, Disabled hibernation and the likes, all clutter removed etc. I Install all my main programs like photoshop, antivirus etc all on the SSD. All in all roughly about 45 programs and two games. This all only totals less then 50Gig. Then everything else gets stored or installed onto my secondary drive which I partitioned to keep it tidy.

seagal

Hi buzz its a 250GB Samsung 850 and the hd is a caviar black. So programmes etc on the sd and data on the hd.
Great thanks all