SSD Drivers

Craigsup

Silver Level Poster
Hey,
I've just received my laptop, but i'm wanting to ensure that all my drivers are up to date so everything runs smooth.

It's a Crucial M4 128GB. From what I can understand by going to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and then finding my SSD it's driver version is currently: 6.1.7600.16385. According to the Crucial website, the latest driver is 000F. This is just confusing me and I don't want to update as knowing my luck it will fry my laptop!

Thanks!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Do you mean the ssd firmware?

Have you installed ya OS on the ssd already? If so, you cant update the firmware without wiping the drive, to update the firmware the drive has to be empty.

Craigsup

Silver Level Poster
Ah yeah. It must be firmware then. How do i know my current version, also is it important to have the most current firmware?
My SSD has my OS and all shiz installed on now - so i'm thinking it'll be a lot of hastle re-doing all of that, considering my internet is running at about 0.5mb at the moment :(

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well I've had 3 ocz vertex II's, two died as the firmware wasnt up to date, that's why I always update the firmware.

After the firmware update on the third drive, it never died/failed again. I now have a corsair force GT, updated the firmware when I got it and it runs beautifully!

I'd suggest having a look on crucial's forums and see what they suggest.

rhx123

well I've had 3 ocz vertex II's, two died as the firmware wasnt up to date, that's why I always update the firmware.

After the firmware update on the third drive, it never died/failed again. I now have a corsair force GT, updated the firmware when I got it and it runs beautifully!

I'd suggest having a look on crucial's forums and see what they suggest.

Are you sure you need to wipe the drive?
I am pretty sure you do not, as I have an M4 and have done firmware updates without it touching the contents on the drive. It is only certain manufacturers that need a wipe.