SSD genral questions

Deklore

Bright Spark
Hi all, was just wondering whar are SSDs like nowadays? Are they a good substitute for HDDs? What i mean is i know they sre currently limited by their storage size and they cost more, but was more wondering how the longervity and reliability is on SSDs nowadays?

Would be grateful if someone can bring me up to date on them. :)

pepe999

Hi all, was just wondering whar are SSDs like nowadays? Are they a good substitute for HDDs? What i mean is i know they sre currently limited by their storage size and they cost more, but was more wondering how the longervity and reliability is on SSDs nowadays?

Would be grateful if someone can bring me up to date on them. :)

Hi,
SSDs are a completely different league than common hard drives. I recommend an SSD to all my friends. The storage capacity is lower but you don't need large data such as videos, movies, serials etc. on the same drive as the operating system. You need a fast system (drive) to access the files on a different drive (usb, NAS etc..) and play them. This is why I have got a SATA II 180GB Corsair F160 SSD (faster than Intel 320 and X25-M) as a system drive in my laptop (HP Dv6 Core i7-720QM) and a Synology NAS for all my multimedia/any files. A large system hdd with many GBs of data is slow itself even without the GBs of data so an SSD is the right choice. Windows Seven start up in 18 seconds and shutdown in 3. A fresh install of W7 takes approx 10 minutes (common hdd on the same laptop 40 minutes). I have tried 4 different solid drives, two Intels, one Corsair (all above) plus a Patriot Inferno (the worst drive so far). I would recommend Corsair GT or F3 drives (for SATA III computers) so if I'm going to buy an Optimus III it will be with a common hdd. I will buy the SSD separately from Amazon or Kikatek because PCS don't use Corsair (I also recommend Corsair memory modules) drives..:)