SSD M2 SM961 vs PM961

keynes

Multiverse Poster
When recommending a new system and when the budget allows we usually recommend an M2 drive as the main drive. The ones usually recommended are the Samsung SM961 or PM961. The PM961 is cheaper and the difference between those is more significant as you increase the capacity. From checking reviews and benchmarks my understanding is that for the average user in this forum (gaming and home use) either of those would be fine and the PM961 would be a better choice money wise. I assume the SM961 would be more beneficial when more frequent transfer of data takes place?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I take it you've seen this: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/samsung-960-evo-pm961,review-33657-2.html

I can't tell you under what circumstances you'll notice such differences as there are though. At the 1TB level however, the price difference is over £100, which given that they're both much faster than sata SSDs anyway doesn't seem worth it for gaming and occasionally more intensive use. Since that's enough to buy 3-4 AAA games.

Yep, the difference in price at smaller sizes is not as much. But even in that case, does it merit spending more regardless of the amount for not noticeable improvement in performance?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
My perspective is that at the 256gb level the difference is £13, so if you're not pressed tight up against a budget you might as well.

If you're buying a £1500 PC you're not going to miss £13 and there's not necessarily much you could buy with that that you haven't already bought.

But at any budget level, £111 difference probably isn't worth it for gaming since you can actually buy meaningful quantities of other stuff with that.