SSD Question

TrustMeItsWorthIt

Gold Level Poster
Hello everyone!

Ok just a quick question for someone from PCS, im planning on buying an aftermarket ssd, it looks like i might end up getting just the actual drive and nothing else.
So, will the motherboard already have a connector? ive never installed a hard drive before so i dont know how its done, i know the case im ordering will have a 2.5" bay but will i have to but a wire/connector to connect it to the MoBo?

Thanks for your help

onlynik

Enthusiast
If you are replacing a current drive, then you use the same cable, if it is an additional drive, then you will need a sata cable to connect the drive to the motherboard. You also need power from the PSU, but I'm assuming there will be a spare connection.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Its a fairly simple job, what you could do is ask PCS to leave a cable from the power supply free,that way you can get at it more easily.

Are you replacing an existing drive? If so then as onlynik says you can just reuse the same cable. But even if your not i got 2 spare SATA cables in my welcome pack, so i don't think you will be stuck for one.

I presume you have your reasons for buying a seperate drive, but if you plan on getting one anyway, it would save you alot of bother if it just came fitted and working from day one? As i presume you intend to install your OS on it?

Whatever you decide if you have mor questions just ask.

Last edited:

Gibbs

Gold Level Poster
For the SSD to work in your system (assuming it is an extra drive, not a replacement one), you will need the following ingredients for it to work:

1) The SSD drive
2) Space in your case for the SSD drive to fit into. You can fit it into a 2.5" bay or you can purchase a tray that will enable you to fit it into a standard 3.5" Hard Disk bay.
3) A spare SATA port on your motherboard
4) a SATA cable to connect the SSD to your motherboard
5) a SATA power cable from your power supply.

If you can check inside your computer for all of these, then you should be ok to go.