SSD question

Rossco06

Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I have received my PC from PCS. However I have noticed that the 1tb intel 670p drive I have appears to be in the gen 4 slot on my MOBO and the 980 pro I have is in the gen 3 slot (according to the manufacturer website).

Am I right in thinking that the 980 pro speed is going to be held back because of this? Is there a reason PCS have done this that I am ignorant to, or is this an error on their part? Many thanks for your help.

i have included pictures below...

IMG_20210827_173128_copy_727x969.jpg
IMG_20210827_173135_copy_702x935.jpg
Screenshot_2021-08-27-16-18-54-976_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2021-08-27-16-19-07-383_com.android.chrome.jpg

KyberKai_

I'm wondering this too. My understanding is the 980 PRO needs to be in a PCIe 4.0 slot to achieve maximum speeds, but I'm not an expert so would be keen to hear others' opinions.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, IMHO, you're both correct, the 980 pro reaches well above the 3500mbs limit of PCIe 3 whereas the Intel doesn't, good spot. It would be worth swapping those around.

You can verify things with crystaldiskmark which is an SSD benchmark tool (use standard edition):

This should really have been found in testing.

Rossco06

So my operating system is installed on the 980 and I have games installed on the Intel. I shouldn't have a problem just switching these should I? (First time trying this!)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So my operating system is installed on the 980 and I have games installed on the Intel. I shouldn't have a problem just switching these should I? (First time trying this!)
No, shouldn't make a difference at all, they should remain the same drive letter assigned in windows no matter which port they're on.

Rossco06

I've also just realised that because they installed into the gen 3 slot with the mobo heatsink, I haven't got one to attach when I put it into the gen 4 slot.

Do you know if the 980 pro requires a heatsink? I'm finding mixed reports online. It's only the operating system/program files and one game installed that I play regularly.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've also just realised that because they installed into the gen 3 slot with the mobo heatsink, I haven't got one to attach when I put it into the gen 4 slot.

Do you know if the 980 pro requires a heatsink? I'm finding mixed reports online. It's only the operating system/program files and one game installed that I play regularly.
No, doesn't need one