SSD slow speed

Tez77

Enthusiast
Just got a new SSD Kingston 240 6gb i have the P6X58D-E motherboard from some help on here and other places found out that the marvel 6 gb ports are not full speed and get half of the advertised speeds of the drive.
If i was to add this product 4 Port SATA 3 (SATA 6Gb/s) Raid Card (0/1) the Highpoint Rocket 640L Lite will this help me get the true speed of the drive i also have some other drives i can run of this from reading up on this i have seen this is also marvel or will i be better of with a card that is intel please help.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
I would go for the intel option as they are faster and more reliable/stable. On my current motherboard there are intel and Asmedia SATA3 ports, I find that the intel ports are faster than the Asmedia ones.

Buzz

Master
Just got a new SSD Kingston 240 6gb i have the P6X58D-E motherboard from some help on here and other places found out that the marvel 6 gb ports are not full speed and get half of the advertised speeds of the drive.
If i was to add this product 4 Port SATA 3 (SATA 6Gb/s) Raid Card (0/1) the Highpoint Rocket 640L Lite will this help me get the true speed of the drive i also have some other drives i can run of this from reading up on this i have seen this is also marvel or will i be better of with a card that is intel please help.

As far as I can see that product you asked about does also use the Marvel drivers,. and while it is 6gb for the price of it, I think I would sooner either stick with the 3gb downgrade performance of the SSD or get a new motherboard for about twice the price ish. I never found Marvel ports of any use. I disable them in the BIOS to boost boot up times. :) Plus that 640L will use up a pcie2 slot only leaving you with 2. So depending on your setup it could leave things tight.

Tez77

Enthusiast
I see loads on the fourms about not bothering with the 6 gb ports and plugging the 6gb ssd stright into a 3gb and leaving the 6 gb with nothing in tryed it my self but i do have 6 hdds so i need to try find away around this not come acorss a intel pci card yet i ll keep looking i get from overclockers or scan normally thanks to u both for your input rep to u both.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you can plug normal hard drives into a sata 3 port fine, i have done this and didnt notice any difference.

BUt the ssd, if you can get it into a sata 6 port, even if you have to move other drives around I would.

what spec have you got mate?

Last edited:

Tez77

Enthusiast
COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-960 (3.20GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 4GB KIT)
1536MB N
GTX580
Kingston 240GB HyperX 3K SSD (6Gb/s)
120GB INTEL® X25-M SERIES SSD, SATA 3 Gb/s (upto 250MB/sR | 100MB/sW)
640GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD6402AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm
2xSeagate 3TB Performance SATA 3 Hard Drive ST3000DM001 7200rpm
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM#####
CORSAIR 1000W PRO SERIES (HX1000) 80+ MODULAR PSU
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER

Tez77

Enthusiast
Been reading loads on this i will never get the full speed of the drive due to the motherboard caps the speed on the marvel ports so was thinking of a pci card to fix this prob but not sure that will work :(