Ssd upgrade

omens

Gold Level Poster
At the mo, have a 17.3" vortex II on order. But I've been wondering whether it's worth going for a SSD or not. At the mo, have only one HDD - 500GB 7200rpm.

Is it possible to retrofit an SSD later and use the HDD in the second slot? Or is it best to spec the ssd, go for a smaller hdd and upgrade this at a later date?

Pete

Bright Spark
personally i think if you want your pc to boot up in few seconds then yes, get an SSD. From what i've read they don't make enough of a speed difference in every day use to make me want to shell out just yet. and i'm always happier to jump on the band waggon once they're tested and reliable.

so in answer, yes you can buy a HDD now and then later add an SSD to boot from. This is exactly what i chose to do when ordering 6 months ago : caviar black for boot drive and games, caviar green for storage.... later i may an SSD as the boot.

onlynik

Enthusiast
I had a 7200rpm 250 GB HHD which I replaced with a OCZ Vertex3 and it was monumentally fast, for the hour that it worked, it was RMA'd and the next Vertex lasted 3 days. Now using an Intel 510, and it is noticiably quicker than the HDD, and also noticibly slower than the OCZ. I run a few VMs and the SSD helps with the booting of these. I keep my games (steam) on a USB drive so can't comment on them.

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
I had a 7200rpm 250 GB HHD which I replaced with a OCZ Vertex3 and it was monumentally fast, for the hour that it worked, it was RMA'd and the next Vertex lasted 3 days. Now using an Intel 510, and it is noticiably quicker than the HDD, and also noticibly slower than the OCZ. I run a few VMs and the SSD helps with the booting of these. I keep my games (steam) on a USB drive so can't comment on them.

Wow! It sounds strangely unfortunate for two SSDs to fail on you like that?!

onlynik

Enthusiast
Wow! It sounds strangely unfortunate for two SSDs to fail on you like that?!

It would appear that the OCZ Vertex 3 doesn't like the Clevo motherboard (in the Vortex II) and panic locks. There are quite a few threads about this. PCS don't offer the OCZ drives for their lapotps anymore.

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
It would appear that the OCZ Vertex 3 doesn't like the Clevo motherboard (in the Vortex II) and panic locks. There are quite a few threads about this. PCS don't offer the OCZ drives for their lapotps anymore.

Right; thanks so much for the info!