SSD vs HDD

Aid257

I'm planning to buy a new laptop at Christmas and i'd like it to be as fast as possible. I'm perfectly clued up on everything apart from the difference in the type of hard drives. I know that a HDD has more storage space and costs less. But a SSD is faster but more expensive for less space. I heard of a friend that the best way to get the most performance is to have operating system installed on a SDD and then have a HDD for storage of all my files. How do I make this set-up on the configuration?

I was planning to get the primary drive as a 90GB kingston hyperx 3k and the second drive as a 500GB serial ATA II 2.5" drive. Will that get the speed I'm looking for?
Thanks!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
How do I make this set-up on the configuration?
You need to choose the SSD as the first hard disk and the HDD as the secondary drive.
I was planning to get the primary drive as a 90GB kingston hyperx 3k and the second drive as a 500GB serial ATA II 2.5" drive. Will that get the speed I'm looking for?
You may want to consider the scorpio black as your secondary drive which is faster than the standard HDD you mentioned. The intel 330 SSD 120gb is a few £ more expensive than the 90gb kingston SSD.

Last edited:

Aid257

Ok, Thanks for the quick reply. Is it cost effective to do this? Will I tell the difference if in the past i've only had HDD?

steaky360

I'd suggest if you can afford it, getting a slightly faster drive for your secondary drive also (Scorpio black etc.).

You will definitely notice the difference in boot up times for the laptop, especially if you are used to a HDD :). However, as Ruben has said, its certainly not essential!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Ok, Thanks for the quick reply. Is it cost effective to do this? Will I tell the difference if in the past i've only had HDD?

It depends on your budget, an SSD is not essential. You will notice the difference when booting windows and loading applications.