Stable Framerate

BT81

Enthusiast
So, how do I get a 'locked' / stable framerate? (what are the tricks and tips)
The high-level specs are

NZXT H511 case
CPU 3600x
GPU 3070
1tb 970 evo plus
H115i Plat RGB
850w Corsair Ultra Quiet

Nothing I play keeps a stable / let alone locked 60fps. Gears 5, regardless of what I do to the settings dips / (I would mentioned Cybperpunk, but mostly that just crashes....)

With Gears, I can unlock the v sync and get 100fps, but then it just bounces around 144, down to 100. Back up

This is my secondary 1080p monitor, let alone 1440p (moving stuff etc)

steaky360

Its usually down to the individual games unfortunately, there's likely not much you can do other than tweaking settings (which you've already done?) to improve your framerates. With Vsync turned on you should get more stable framerates but sadly if it drops it'll drop 'big' rather than smaller changes. Assuming you aren't pushing thousands of extra frames maybe keeping vysnc off will allow for a smoother experience.

Rather than focusing on the numbers (which is pointless really - like does it matter what # FPS you're getting if you're not noticing any issues) I'd suggest adjusting the settings until you stop noticing regular drops in performance.

I don't think I've ever played a game on PC or modern consoles (yay for retro consoles, never noticed any of this :)) where I didn't ever notice intermittent (but relatively rare) drops /dips in FPS.

You could check in the nvidia control panel to make sure you're not scaling up the resolution for all programs and that its set to 'in game' (forget the name of the setting but worth checking).

LTT did a tech quickie video on some master settings via the nvidia control panel which could be helpful too. Could be a little out of date now but worth a watch I'm sure: