Star Conflict

Evil Tactician

Gold Level Poster
This is a rather brilliant free-to-play game which is best described as a cross between World of Tanks and EVE Online.

More depth than the former, a lot less complex than the latter. Plus, you fly yourself - think Freelancer with light MMO elements.

The game is currently in beta and there are some pretty nifty features in the works at the moment. Personally, I am most looking forward to a resource/crafting style system and the promised corporation dreadnoughts - as well as the corp vs corp PvP. Since the game costs nothing to play and isn't 'pay to win' driven (you can speed up your progress by paying, but you wont gain an advantage over other players) I strongly recommend you at least try it.

Do note that the starting ships / tier of playing is not the best representation of what the game has to offer. As you go up in ship tiers / reputation ranks, the ships you get to fly are increasingly more complex with additional modules and options each tier. The true tactical depth of the game doesn't really shine through until later, allowing players to 'easy in' more easily. Unfortunately this can make the game feel a little lackluster at first for gaming veterans, but it's definitely worth persisting. It only takes a few hours of play before things get more interesting.

Same applies for PvE - Tier 1 only has 1 mission available, which initially makes it seem a little repetitive/uninspiring. More missions open up when you/your squad only has t2 or higher ships equipped. This is something that caught some of us out at first. Playing PvE with randoms is harder than PvP, so I don't suggest you start there unless you fly with a group of friends/corporation mates.

If you end up trying the game, come say hi to The WolfPack Corporation.

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Sounds interesting, might give it a try.

Absolute prize of a URL there for the corporation haha.

EDIT* Note to add, this is not an MMO. I only assumed it was from what you said, and the site does claim MMO but it is a lobby based Space Shooter for anyone who wants to know

Last edited:

Evil Tactician

Gold Level Poster
Hehe, yeah. Best. URL. Ever.

This is indeed not an MMO in the strict sense of the term. It has 'MMO elements', but there's currently no open world where you can fly around. You spend your time outside matches in your hangar/lobby.

More features are meant to come into the game in the near future and it's hard to say how many MMO elements this will bring, but most of your time will be spend shooting people and hanging out with your corporation mates. I don't suggest trying to play this solo as it's not anywhere near as much fun.

ThomasM

Yeah its pretty good. Been playing solo and i cant really complain but i guess it would be better with friends!

Evil Tactician

Gold Level Poster
Yeah its pretty good. Been playing solo and i cant really complain but i guess it would be better with friends!

This.

Give me a poke - Weekdays I'm usually found online between 19:00 and 22:00 GMT. Weekends (with the exception of coming weekend, I am gone the entire duration) my online times are erm, well. Let's say I could do with more sunlight.