Star Trek Online, Eve Online and Black Prophecy.

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Just started playing this - I got bored of World of Warcraft and wanted to try a space MMO, so I had 3 options really.

Black Prophecy, Eve Online, or Star Trek Online.

Black prophecy is pretty good for a free mmo, but its very limited at the moment: Theres not much exploration you can do, and every ship your race has looks exactly the same, so it gets annoying.
(It is just out of beta though, so I imagine it will get better).

As for EVE, the learning curve on that game is huuuuuge, and I didn't really wanna try jumping into that, so I opted for Star Trek. It actually seems pretty good so far.

So, does anyone play any of these at the moment? What do ya think to them?

LFFPicard

Godlike
I play STO, I am at max level and find it a bit too easy now.

Some of the storyline missions are plain awesome and alot of links to Canon Star Trek.
I started playing with the Foundry making my own mission but there is too much issing feature wise for me to make the mission I want.
Star Trek Online might benifit from Dilithium mining operations as a tradeskill, would make things really good as I hate the current crafting system.

I have both Eve and STO, Eve yes is a big learning curve but when you get into a militia and get a half decent ship the battles are just epic. 200+ Ships all battling it out in a sector, done a lot of cat and mouse chases on Corperation wars as well. And there is mining!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
200? If you arent lagging out with a few thousand ships in 3 joined systems that crash a node, you just arent playing EVE :D (its why I never used to fly BSs in fleets...I R CEPTOR PILOT!...except that one time I was made to fly a Scorp for EW purposes and proceeded to warp in and out about 20 times...didnt die though (somehow!))

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Haha sounds epic, I would try Eve, but like I said, the learning curve puts me off as well as the time it would steal from me lol :p.

Still getting into STO, plus I've subscribed now, so I'm quite taken with it.

Studentguyct

Bronze Level Poster
You could wait for that star wars mmo, there's a lot of hype on it. My friend says it's going to be the best MMO ever but when I asked him why he thought so, he had no answers other than "It's Star Wars". He also thinks that Homefront has an amazing campaign though, so...