Star Trek online

rickne

Master Poster
Well I never saw me playing this before after all the mediocre press , or maybe im just old but really enjoying this game so far. Really deviates from the usual fantasy stuff of Wow and Guild Wars. Its like two different games rolled into one. Space combat is well thought out and from a role playing aspect its a trekkie nerds paradise.

"Reroute ships power to rear shields and prepare for evasive manoeuvres".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsSAUpW0uTA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
Tis a good game. I brought it before it went free to play,left it for a few months, and started playing again about a week ago.

LFFPicard

Godlike
It's not bad, I should get back into it. I got the collectors edition and played from early access..

End game was not there but they have added alot since, the thing that really annoyed me was when they released foundry (A system to be able to create your own missions and share them) was very limiting, I was not able to make a mission I had been working on since they announced it, I should go check if I can do it now. - It was a simple thing, I could not do. Make a federation ship go rouge. Oh well..

Anyway, back then I done a couple videos, space and ground combat.

Check them out.

[video=youtube;OS-MWFa8oQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS-MWFa8oQc[/video]

[video=youtube;LZ7aW4GXN0g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ7aW4GXN0g[/video]

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Thought I'd give it a try after reading this thread and quite liking it so far, especially the ship sequences.

I do have a question though for anybody who might have got quite far into it - Does it get to a stage where you can just go exploring on your own? I really like space based games and especially "open world" ones. I tried the Star Wars MMO and was very disappointed by the linear feel of it (at least as far as I got before binning it) and do not want to get too involved in this one if it is going to be 100% quest led without allowing for players to just log and fly around looking for new places without being tied to the "follow the yellow arrow otherwise you will hit an invisible brick wall" routine

I have always liked just pointing my toon in one direction and running to see how far I could get and seeing what was around the next corner. WoW was perfect for me in that respect (although I have now cancelled my sub due to the latest, ridiculous Walt Disneyesque expansion.....) so was wondering if anybody might let me know the openess of the Star Trek worlds.

Thanks

Torgan

rickne

Master Poster
I've not ventured much outside of the first sector but i assume its all open to wonder into from the get go. Just be prepared not to be a match for any enemy's outside your level range. I'm an 8 lieutenant so far and enjoying the pace.

LFFPicard

Godlike
Last time I played it was still a bit linear.
Most systems etc are accessible primarily for missions not for exploration.
There are exploration missions you just fly your ship into a explore event and a random missino is created for you, usually defend outpost/board outpost/collect anomolies

If you want a true sandbox experiance to explore space to your hearts content the onyl real game for that is Eve Online. STO is and always will be quest driven like most MMO's

spikopsycho

Enthusiast
If you've not played it... here (I think) is a map of all the the sectors you can go in (save the scienecy - exploration clusters, which are as was previously said, not particularly exploration, but more for just simple rewards etc)

(Low quality... taken on laptop at low resolution :/)

2013-01-08_00001_zps70986dbc.jpg

There could be a lot more exploration wise I guess, but its still a good game overall for what you get.

Theres a lot of new endgame content, and I'm fairly impressed with all the changes since I started playing again.

Worth a try anyway

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
I think I will give it a go, as it's FTP it's not as if I would be wasting cash on it.

Thanks for all the replies

Torgan.