Steam alternatives?

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Hi everyone! I got my PC and have been Steam'n it up over the weekend and got Borderlands and Counterstrike. But Steam seems to lack the catalogue of games I thought it would have...there seems to be a lack of old school RTS games (like Homeworld for example) and there is no Starcraft 2 either.

Are there any other websites where you can download games for reasonable prices with a different selection of games to steam?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Things like SC2 are only available retail or through Battlenet (that's Blizzards fault/doing).

As to old school stuff, they come up now and again on Steam. I think again it has more to do with the publishers than Valve going and getting it.

There are lots of DL sites and will go dig them up now, but likely someone else will post them in the meantime :D

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Origin is where most EA games will be available from now as they are pulling their games from Steam, due to jealousy most likely, there are also many sites, but i dont really know any names

Mattyp

Enthusiast
Origin is where most EA games will be available from now as they are pulling their games from Steam, due to jealousy most likely, there are also many sites, but i dont really know any names

Why can't they all just get along?!

Gishank

Bright Spark
There are numerous digital download services out there, however Steam has the largest and most diverse selection of games on offer. Games being on steam is really subject to the publishers wishes. Games such as Homeworld not being on digital download services is more to do with 'who owns the rights to it', given Sierra went bust years ago.

Starcraft isn't anywhere other than Blizzards own service for it's own games.
EA games generally are only on it's own service nowadays.