steam machine

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi all,
Anyone got experience with a steam machine or Steam OS? Not sure if PCS offers Steam OS on their systems yet.

sjwest

Steam os is debain based and ubuntu packaged.

Install debian and run the steam client. (buy a pc without an os)

Windows based steam games wont play, i dont have a controller, or vr setup. I imagine if Microsoft make life difficult for steam in the future (embrace,extend and extinguish) then your see traction with steam os.

Have fun Portal is fun.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Steam os is debain based and ubuntu packaged.

Install debian and run the steam client. (buy a pc without an os)

Windows based steam games wont play, i dont have a controller, or vr setup. I imagine if Microsoft make life difficult for steam in the future (embrace,extend and extinguish) then your see traction with steam os.

Have fun Portal is fun.

Seriously? You're quoting the old EEE from TWENTY YEARS AGO that has no bearing whatsoever on this?

Question 1 - when did Microsoft Embrace Steam? It's an application they have known about for years. It's not using any proprietary protocols or standards that Microsoft would need to embrace - it's an application sitting on an OS!
Question 2 - when have Microsoft Extended Steam or their own competitor to Steam to include their own standards and protocols? This being the Extend in the model
Question 3 - with a world of competition out there for them in the gaming console world (they don't even launch their own top-line games like Halo onto Windows) why would Microsoft care to Extinguish Steam and in doing so alienate a significant portion of users who play games. To what end??

1997 Callled. They want their browser wars back!

And for what it's worth, before you shout Microsoft Shill, I run Linux. I have various appliances running it and even have it running on my laptop, albeit in a VM - my preferred version being CentOS. It has it's place.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I didn't entirely follow that post either, but I wondered if it was a reference to the UWP.

While I don't have any personal experience of SteamOS, the last I read about it gaming performance was overall significantly worse than with Windows. Unsurprisingly I guess, since it's Linux.

What's your interest in a steam machine / machine with steam OS? Are you looking for a small PC for the living room to run games on the TV? If so you could consider in-home streaming via steam to a very small PC with Linux on it.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Problem with al laptop is that is more expensive and not upgradable in terms of gpu. I was thinking of a laptop with a gtx 1070 but it would be cheaper to get a small case with an i5 + gtx 1080

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
While I guess your point is about the price, there doesn't seem much point in getting a GTX 1080 for a travelling build unless the digs you stay in are likely to have 1440p high refresh rate monitors or 4k TVs.

I guess you just need to find a regular small form factor PC with Windows and the right sort of cooling for high end stuff.

Steam OS, in addition to the performance issues, won't run many Windows games.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
my idea is using it at home on a 4k tv and while travelling at a lower resolution or go for a cheaper gpu like the gtx 1060

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
So I've used Steam on Linux, OSX and Windows and where the games were available cross-platform, the beauty was the one purchase worked which was a nice touch (caveat it was a couple of years back now).

But the downside was there was very little cross-platform goodness going on.

So...that said...if you are going to need to buy games, how about a slim xbox or PS4?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
So...that said...if you are going to need to buy games, how about a slim xbox or PS4?
that was another option, definitely cheaper. Can't find a case for a mini pc that offers good cooling and can fit comfortably in a cabin luggage suitcase.

sjwest

Seriously? You're quoting the old EEE from TWENTY YEARS AGO that has no bearing whatsoever on this?

Question 1 - when did Microsoft Embrace Steam? It's an application they have known about for years. It's not using any proprietary protocols or standards that Microsoft would need to embrace - it's an application sitting on an OS!
Question 2 - when have Microsoft Extended Steam or their own competitor to Steam to include their own standards and protocols? This being the Extend in the model
Question 3 - with a world of competition out there for them in the gaming console world (they don't even launch their own top-line games like Halo onto Windows) why would Microsoft care to Extinguish Steam and in doing so alienate a significant portion of users who play games. To what end??

1997 Callled. They want their browser wars back!

And for what it's worth, before you shout Microsoft Shill, I run Linux. I have various appliances running it and even have it running on my laptop, albeit in a VM - my preferred version being CentOS. It has it's place.

I too run linux, clients and servers i dont run ms or inicknamed micro**** - by the way if microsoft wish to get rid of steam via some anti competitive stuff then they have form to do so be it an app store or decide to install updates during a steam game.

Another way of thinking here is is why would microsoft need a 'partner' say one called pcs as well.

I normally post to the linux forum here

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I know you were looking at the Node 202 (377 x 82 x 330 mm) - did you check out the Raven RVZ02 (380mm (W) x 87mm (H) x 370mm)?

I've no concept of how large or small things need to for for cabin baggage since I fly relatively infrequently these days.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I know you were looking at the Node 202 (377 x 82 x 330 mm) - did you check out the Raven RVZ02 (380mm (W) x 87mm (H) x 370mm)?

I've no concept of how large or small things need to for for cabin baggage since I fly relatively infrequently these days.

55x40x20cm those are the dimensions of my luggage. I was thinking of the Node 202 until you pointed out the cooling issues :)
PCS doesn't offer the raven and not sure if they will accept sending a case. Still waiting for them to reply to other emails I sent a couple of weeks ago.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You could also try swapping the stock case fans out with some Noctua industrial fans like the NF12 iPPC, and fitting them to every mounting point the case has.
http://www.modders-inc.com/noctua-industrialppc-fans-review/3/

There are a couple of Node 202 partpicker builds with GTX 1080s and 1070s that claim to have ~70 degree load temps with extra fans being used so it might manage it.

That said, it's not clear what "load" meant for all users. If it was 1080p gaming where the card's only really 50% loaded up that's not going to say much about temps at 4k. One user said they used 3dmark and got temps of 75 degrees with two extra case fans and a blower cooled GPU. So perhaps I had too little faith in that case, if one is happy to take the word of people showing off how good their self build is. Corsair SP120 fans seemed quite popular in the builds.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You realise you probably gonna have to pull that thing out at the airport right.

From my experience, a PC and a mid range laptop is the way to go. My Cosmos is a little heavy, but no trouble carrying it through an airport and onto a plane etc.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What about a Nvidia Shield? They can happily stream through Wifi if you have it in your various lodgings. I'm looking to pick one of the 2017 models up soon.

That or the PS4 would be my most likely choice in your situation.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for all the advice. At the end I went for a gaming laptop + a Nintendo switch :) sorted for gaming on the move for now.