Steam Next Fest recommendations

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
This could be a thread I keep coming back to and will probably necro it more than a few times for future Next Fests!

I don't know how wide the interest in these games will be, but having flicked through this month's festival, these are a few that jumped out at me and are very much on my radar having played the demos.

Homeworld is a series that I go through phases of playing every so often - still got my disc copy getting on for 25 years on since the original launched. It really nailed the feeling of big fleets of spaceships doing battle against each other. Homeworld is finally getting a third installment next month and it's looking pretty. The demo's a fun experience for anybody who likes their strategy games a bit spacey!

GT Manager '24 has cars. Cars go fast. You don't do any of the driving yourself, but you're behind the scenes choosing strategies on tyres and when to pit stop. Looks to have a fairly wide selection of cars with multiple GT series featured and a bunch of real world drivers. There's a couple of petrolheads on here who may decide to take a look at this.

Tokyo Psychodemic is a game I'd not even heard of 48 hours ago, but I'm considering buying day one from my time playing the demo. It's a detective mystery game done in a visual novel style which reminds me a little of the Ace Attorney games. It's a fairly serious game, which I probably need after all the mad games I've played recently.

Right I best get back to the dozens of demos I've queued up from this Next Fest - there could be more I'd recommend!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
This could be a thread I keep coming back to and will probably necro it more than a few times for future Next Fests!

I don't know how wide the interest in these games will be, but having flicked through this month's festival, these are a few that jumped out at me and are very much on my radar having played the demos.

Homeworld is a series that I go through phases of playing every so often - still got my disc copy getting on for 25 years on since the original launched. It really nailed the feeling of big fleets of spaceships doing battle against each other. Homeworld is finally getting a third installment next month and it's looking pretty. The demo's a fun experience for anybody who likes their strategy games a bit spacey!

GT Manager '24 has cars. Cars go fast. You don't do any of the driving yourself, but you're behind the scenes choosing strategies on tyres and when to pit stop. Looks to have a fairly wide selection of cars with multiple GT series featured and a bunch of real world drivers. There's a couple of petrolheads on here who may decide to take a look at this.

Tokyo Psychodemic is a game I'd not even heard of 48 hours ago, but I'm considering buying day one from my time playing the demo. It's a detective mystery game done in a visual novel style which reminds me a little of the Ace Attorney games. It's a fairly serious game, which I probably need after all the mad games I've played recently.

Right I best get back to the dozens of demos I've queued up from this Next Fest - there could be more I'd recommend!

gt manager looks sweet

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
gt manager looks sweet
It is. It's not all that different from the F1 Manager games or Motorsport Manager, but it feels like a pretty good example of the genre, so I'll have an eye on it once it's out.

I'm calling it now - Pacific Drive will be in contention for some of the 2024 Indie Game of the Year awards!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
It is. It's not all that different from the F1 Manager games or Motorsport Manager, but it feels like a pretty good example of the genre, so I'll have an eye on it once it's out.

I'm calling it now - Pacific Drive will be in contention for some of the 2024 Indie Game of the Year awards!

that also looks cool

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Pacific Drive looks fantastic. I've been really enjoying Stranded Deep lately, keep popping in and out and always find something to do. This looks like a driving version, which is right up my street.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Pacific Drive looks fantastic. I've been really enjoying Stranded Deep lately, keep popping in and out and always find something to do. This looks like a driving version, which is right up my street.
Looks just like my normal commute across Liverpool or when I have to go to the 'worst shopping centre' in the world at Belle Vale ;)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
It plays as good as it looks, and so I'll be very curious to see how the final game is when it releases later this month.

Looks just like my normal commute across Liverpool or when I have to go to the 'worst shopping centre' in the world at Belle Vale ;)
My sister lives up the road from Belle Vale and I've certainly experienced the shopping centre in question. I've almost survived it too!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
It plays as good as it looks, and so I'll be very curious to see how the final game is when it releases later this month.

My sister lives up the road from Belle Vale and I've certainly experienced the shopping centre in question. I've almost survived it too!

so thanks to the great gaming god himself for the info, I have pre bought pacific drive deluxe version, not a bad price so hoping the game lives up to the potential. (y)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
so thanks to the great gaming god himself for the info, I have pre bought pacific drive deluxe version, not a bad price so hoping the game lives up to the potential. (y)
I would hope you've played the demo and haven't just bought it because I said so!

A couple more recommendations (for everyone, not just you Homey!) that have clearly been inspired by other games.

Realm of Ink has a gorgeous ink style and is an Action Roguelike that very much reminds of me Hades. Hopefully it'll be of a similar quality on release!

ss_d11449effe6c01ebc8c71573c5ba74bc002dd870.1920x1080.jpg

The other game is Never Grave: The Witch and the Curse. It's more than a little reminiscent of Hollow Knight. While the aeons-long wait for Hollow Knight: Silksong goes on, you could probably do a lot worse than give this a go while you're waiting!

ss_c4e61aad5335b3631d42519c4283f12a100f5696.1920x1080.jpg

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Ghost of Catsushina - I have no idea if the game is any good, but given the name is poking a bit of fun at Ghost of Tsushima, I'll be giving the demo a go!

ss_518daadbbc9a7be4b0101e42e98334461a63ae8a.1920x1080.jpg

Insane.Pringle

Enthusiast

ive been waiting for this to arrive for a while. i loved playing the homeworld games when they were released and have the remastered series on steam as well as the original cd/DVDs. The only problem is that you can't get cataclysm on steam :(

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
A bit of a weird recommendation here, but don't knock it until you've tried it!

Balatro is a Roguelike deckbuilder based around Poker. I've put quite a few hours into the demo and will probably end up buying the game when it releases next week.

Give the demo a try, it has a real "just one more hand" hook for me - it may just lure you in too!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

Balatro is a Roguelike deckbuilder based around Poker. I've put quite a few hours into the demo and will probably end up buying the game when it releases next week.

Give the demo a try, it has a real "just one more hand" hook for me - it may just lure you in too!

is it difficult as homer has not a clue how to play poker :LOL:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
is it difficult as homer has not a clue how to play poker :LOL:
It's a fairly typical Roguelike in that the first few hands in each run are fairly easy that even a beginner at poker would probably be okay. There's a button that the tutorial shows you that shows what the different hands in poker are from a pain through to some of the more high level hands such as flushes and straights. The further you get into a run, the more difficult it gets, but each completed run gives you coins which you can use to buy new and better cards. Again, very typical Roguelike game mechanic as you should be a little bit stronger with each run and find it easier to go that little bit further the next time.

The demo is 60-odd MB so should be easy enough to play if the game is of interest.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Capture.JPG

Just into Very Positive reviews on Steam at bang on 80% positive.

I stand by my guess of potential Indie Game of the Year nominee as it has had a fair bit of hype in indie circles and seems to have come pretty close to actually delivering on it. The main issue with the game seems to be that it's really inconsistent about when it saves, so you can lose a lot of progress if you quit at the wrong time. That's something that should be fixed in a patch. Steam DB shows it's peaked so far at 16,500 concurrent players only a few days after launch.

I see that poker game I recommended, Balatro, has a touch under 30,000 current players on it and has peaked at a little over 34,000 players. That's also looking pretty good for some awards later in the year!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

thats doing really well on the reviews

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
thats doing really well on the reviews

The game taps into the same sort of endorphin hits that you get from gambling, so is really addictive, but doesn't cost anything more than the £13 it's listed at to buy. If they added microtransactions, the devs would be bazillionaires before Valve had to decide whether or not the game should remain on Steam due to it being literal gambling. I like to complete a single run at once where I can, so look to have an hour or so set aside before playing - I'm about 10 hours in so far and will definitely be playing well into the hundreds of hours before moving on!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

nerdcubed reviewed it as well