Steam - Purpose of 'Pre-Purchasing'?

Jiyuu

Silver Level Poster
I just had an ad pop up on Steam for pre-purchasing Dark Souls. This is a game I do plan on getting, but what is the point in 'pre-purchasing' it? Are they inferring that it'll cost more to buy when it's actually released, or something?:confused:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
No, but why do you pre-order a game from Play or Game? I look it as mainly in case I forget about it, or indeed in some cases an early release date (few days sometimes).

Price changes can happen, and you will nearly always get it cheaper if it drops from ordering to release, so I wouldn't worry about it and just pre-order it :D

ThomasM

It is a possibility that it may rise in price, but it is just like a pre-order as in you will get it as soon as its released.
With digital games it usually involves being able to download the game a few days early so it is avaliable at 12 on the day its released :)

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
It is a possibility that it may rise in price, but it is just like a pre-order as in you will get it as soon as its released.
With digital games it usually involves being able to download the game a few days early so it is avaliable at 12 on the day its released :)

pretty much that

also some multiplayer games give out beta keys if you pre-purchase, the original left 4 dead gave you early access to the demo :p

Adli

Enthusiast
i preordered Torchlight 2 because i knew i wanted it (best to spend £15 when i have £15 to spend and not have to worry about it later) and it also came with Torchlight 1. i'm playing T1 whilst waiting for T2 to come out :D

Jiyuu

Silver Level Poster
The prospect of getting the game a few days early is cool, but I'll be on Holiday around the time of the release anyway, so I think I'll leave it this time.

Do they charge you immediately or when they release it for download?

Adli

Enthusiast
The prospect of getting the game a few days early is cool, but I'll be on Holiday around the time of the release anyway, so I think I'll leave it this time.

Do they charge you immediately or when they release it for download?

IMMEDIATELY. but then you dont need to worry about having £15 a few months later, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. i'd rather spend £15 when i can afford to then wait, rather than wait and have to spend £15 when i can't.