Steam

Studentguyct

Bronze Level Poster
i need help getting my head round steam actually is. i know that you buy games and you can then play those games and talk to other people with steam while playing. But say if i bought darkspore on gamersgate, would i then still be able to chat with steam? Also, what are the disadvantages of buying through steam?

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
To play some games you need to have online connection 24/7, but most can be played offline once you install them.

Since steam also has a seperate UI you can add any game to it (but these won't automatically get patched through steam) and it will enable the steam over lay, giving you access to your steam friends list so you can use chat etc.

join the steam community :p

drawn-blue-arrow-down.png

LFFPicard

Godlike
The only games that require you to have steam online is online games.
All other games can be played while steam is in offline mode.

The steam overlay will work with all games supported by steam by pressing shift+tab while in game.
Non-Steam games can be added to steam but the overlay will not work unless the game is supported. And as said the games will not be kept updated by steam.

As for getting a game on gamersgate and using steam to chat, this is possible. If the game is supported the overlay will work once the game is added to steam, if not you can still chat but like with MSN etc you will have to minimize the game to chat.

Steam is basically a digital distribution platform that incorporates friends lists, server lists, favorites, screenshots and voice chat all on one bit of software.
Steam also has alot of deals on a regular basis just like gamersgate, so there is not really a big disadvantage with using steam.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
The one thing that annoys me (actually havent checked lately if its still true) is that you cant add non-steam games to your favourites. Whenever you do, the next time you come to Steam they are removed from the list. Such a small thing, but just a pain to scroll down and search for a non-steam game :D

Apart from that <3 Steam, its the best!