Storage: 1st Hard Drive vs M.2 SSD Drive - performance / fan noise

Hi, I am looking for a laptop for developing software (android, big data, VMs, emulators ... ) in Linux. No interested in gaming,

I decided to go for a Cosmos VI 17.3'' with i7 processor and 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RAM.

Regarding the storage, I am not looking for a high storage drive (I can always use external drives) so 256GB can be ok. So I am thinking of 3 options:

• 1st Hard Drive -> 250 Samsung 850 2.5'' EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540 MB/sR | 520 MB/sW)
  • M.2 SSD Drive -> 256 Samsung PM 961 M.2 PCIe NMVe (up to 2800 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
  • both

According to your experience, what is the better choice (1st HD or m2) considering performance and heat/fan noise? Any better choice/advise?

Thanks

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The PM961 is the better choice in my opinion. Not only is it faster, it also leaves your 2.5" bay free so you could use an internal HDD in the future if you wanted. There's no down side to it, other than it costs a few £ more.

Thanks Oussebon, I was thinking also about this option.

If possible, I would like to take advantage of build time to plan well about possible overheating or fan noise on this Cosmos VI with i7 and 32GB. I will be adding the extreme thermal conductivity to my order just in case.

Considering that it will run on Linux, is there anything else I could do now to prevent overheating / fan noise or just cross fingers?

My order is almost ready BTW.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
A laptop cooling pad would likely help. It raises the laptop and so increases airflow, and built-in fans help further.

By "a laptop cooling pad" I suppose you mean an external device such as:

$_12.JPG

An regarding "build-in fans" it does not seem a choice in PCS configuration form.

Thanks

Rakk

The Awesome
An regarding "build-in fans" it does not seem a choice in PCS configuration form.

Oussebon was meaning a cooling pad with built-in-fans :)
If you look on somewhere like Amazon for 'laptop cooling pad' you will see there are many available :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
As above :)

PCS also sell a small selection under Section 6) PERIPHERALS & ACCESSORIES, Laptop Cooling Stands. But there is a much bigger choice on Amazon[FONT=&quot]Laptop Cooling Stands[/FONT]