Storage upgrade question

Zazzri

Hi all, I hope this is in the right place! I have had my build for about a month and truly love it! Runs all my games great etc. My question comes regarding storage.

My build is below, essentially I have 500gb SSD I use for windows and a few non important docs. The 1TB drive is for games. I have filled 900gb already, a mix of free games and steam sales and there are a few games coming out over the next few months that will fill that. My question is, as I plan to record/make youtube videos I do require more storage and just the best and most cost efficient way of achieving this. I am assuming another SSD, but the size/model and how easy they are to fit as I am a beginner would be helpful.

Thanks in advance and budget wise, I am open to suggestions. Whatever the experts on here reccomend is likely what I will go with!

Case CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NOT REQUIRED
2nd Storage DriveNONE
1st M.2 SSD DriveNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD DriveNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
down_right_arrow.gif
CORSAIR 650W CV SERIES™ CV-650 POWER SUPPLY
Change to: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster Hyper 212 (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Videos etc don't actually benefit from the fast write speeds of SSD so your best bet for storing video is actually an HDD, so something like a 2TB Barracuda should do you nicely, I've got both a 1 TB and 2TB in my system

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Videos etc don't actually benefit from the fast write speeds of SSD so your best bet for storing video is actually an HDD, so something like a 2TB Barracuda should do you nicely, I've got both a 1 TB and 2TB in my system
That would be for storage, but not for editing, for that you'd want as fast as possible.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That would be for storage, but not for editing, for that you'd want as fast as possible.
Totally agreed, however once you've finished a project and exported it why not store the source file and exported file on the HDD's, then if at any time you need to change the project, you can always copy them back to the editing disc, so as well as what i suggested above, add a 500GB SSD for editing on, and of course for extra storage don't forget external drives..................

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You want the best of both worlds above. A suitably size SSD (and it doesn't need to be blistering fast - a SATA SSD would do) as a scratch drive for videos that you're editing. And you want a large multi-terabyte HDD to store the finished videos - and to store new videos as you record them.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The other way you could achieve it would be to get an adapter that lets you plug an M.2 SSD into a PCIe slot. They're cheap because they're electronically equivalent: it's just the form factor that's different. Sabrent do one for £15 and I'm sure there are others in the same range. You could then add another PCIe 3 M.2 drive to your system and get all its benefits. You could get something like a 2TB 670p.

Personally I'd much rather that over getting a SATA SSD.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The other way you could achieve it would be to get an adapter that lets you plug an M.2 SSD into a PCIe slot. They're cheap because they're electronically equivalent: it's just the form factor that's different. Sabrent do one for £15 and I'm sure there are others in the same range. You could then add another PCIe 3 M.2 drive to your system and get all its benefits. You could get something like a 2TB 670p.

Personally I'd much rather that over getting a SATA SSD.
You can also get external caddies for M.2 that work over USB C, I've got 2 of them

Zazzri

You want the best of both worlds above. A suitably size SSD (and it doesn't need to be blistering fast - a SATA SSD would do) as a scratch drive for videos that you're editing. And you want a large multi-terabyte HDD to store the finished videos - and to store new videos as you record them.

Thank you everyone for all the advice! Think as you suggest I will buy another SSD and then some HDD drives.

Is there any reason I would go for external drives? I have had a Samsung SSD and WD HDD (both external) fail me before but I am heavy handed so was leaning towards internal drives

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thank you everyone for all the advice! Think as you suggest I will buy another SSD and then some HDD drives.

Is there any reason I would go for external drives? I have had a Samsung SSD and WD HDD (both external) fail me before but I am heavy handed so was leaning towards internal drives
Always internal if you can fit them in. Internal drives will perform better because they're not using the USB interface.

IMO an external SSD makes no sense.