Storage

sidalvi

Hello guys should I go for a 4tb HDD or a 2tb SSD. Main purpose is just for storage and back up. Never going to use it for anything else. I will be just dumping data and video files which I will later transfer to my main faster SSD to edit.
Thank you.

Rakk

The Awesome
A 2tb SSD will be a quite a bit more expensive than a 4tb mechanical drive, and if its only for storage then a normal mechanical drive will do perfectly fine.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Video files get zero benefit from being on an SSD. Similarly backup files waste the speed of an SSD. Get the 4TB HDD for sure.

sidalvi

Thank you lads for your replies.
NURSEMORPH - I record my gameplay videos however, I edit them only after I complete the game. So to store this videos the drive will be used. I'll copy the raw file which is to be edited into my main faster drive for editing.
So i was wondering, whether I should go with a SSD or a cheaper HDD as the only thing that i'll be doing is copying stuff from and to the drive?. Nothing else.

sidalvi

Video files get zero benefit from being on an SSD. Similarly backup files waste the speed of an SSD. Get the 4TB HDD for sure.
Cheers. This is exactly what I was thinking. So do you recommend 5400 RPM HDD or a 7200 RPM HDD?Would you be able to recommend a good reliable HDD for storage 4TB or 8TB

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers. This is exactly what I was thinking. So do you recommend 5400 RPM HDD or a 7200 RPM HDD?Would you be able to recommend a good reliable HDD for storage 4TB or 8TB
7200RPM would be worthwhile, significanly improved performance over 5400RPM.

Western Digital Blacks are a good favorite although at a price
I've actually started using Western Digital Red Pro's which again are a little more expensive, but they are absolutely superb drives, can't recommend them enough. The Red's are dedicated NAS drives, so designed to be always on and under high usage, they're sort of like a datacenter type reliability brand for the home professional user. Really superb drives, and quiet as well which the competing Seagate Ironwolf drives are not.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you're just using it to store videos after editing them then a (cheaper) 5400rpm drive will be fine. Playing the videos from a 5400rpm drive will also be perfectly fine, as long as there is no other activity on that drive at the same time. A noticeable improvement in the time taken to write the video files will be seen with a 7200rpm drive, but if you're just archiving them there it probably doesn't matter. You'll see no improvement in playback on a 7200rpm drive (or an SSD for that matter), as long as there is no other activity on that drive at the same time.

What you should also consider is backup for this drive. It sounds like it will be holding a lot of valuable data and you never want to have only one copy of valuable data. :)

sidalvi

If you're just using it to store videos after editing them then a (cheaper) 5400rpm drive will be fine. Playing the videos from a 5400rpm drive will also be perfectly fine, as long as there is no other activity on that drive at the same time. A noticeable improvement in the time taken to write the video files will be seen with a 7200rpm drive, but if you're just archiving them there it probably doesn't matter. You'll see no improvement in playback on a 7200rpm drive (or an SSD for that matter), as long as there is no other activity on that drive at the same time.

What you should also consider is backup for this drive. It sounds like it will be holding a lot of valuable data and you never want to have only one copy of valuable data. :)
Hey thanks for the reply.
Yes, Definitely. By year end, I'll invest in one more drive and put them in Raid 1.

sidalvi

7200RPM would be worthwhile, significanly improved performance over 5400RPM.

Western Digital Blacks are a good favorite although at a price
I've actually started using Western Digital Red Pro's which again are a little more expensive, but they are absolutely superb drives, can't recommend them enough. The Red's are dedicated NAS drives, so designed to be always on and under high usage, they're sort of like a datacenter type reliability brand for the home professional user. Really superb drives, and quiet as well which the competing Seagate Ironwolf drives are not.
Hey spyder thanks for the reply.

Yes WD drives are reliable can't deny, I have one, had no problems in the last 4 years (touch wood!!).
Time required for read and write is not that much of a concern for me. However if they are much reliable over the seagate Ironwolf, I won't mind paying extra.
I literally wont be doing anything else apart from copying stuff to and from disk. So should i still invest in costlier option for the extra performance?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey spyder thanks for the reply.

Yes WD drives are reliable can't deny, I have one, had no problems in the last 4 years (touch wood!!).
Time required for read and write is not that much of a concern for me. However if they are much reliable over the seagate Ironwolf, I won't mind paying extra.
I literally wont be doing anything else apart from copying stuff to and from disk. So should i still invest in costlier option for the extra performance?
Just the standard WD Red would probably be more appropriate, same reliability but 5400rpm, still excellent drives.

sidalvi

Just the standard WD Red would probably be more appropriate, same reliability but 5400rpm, still excellent drives.
Hey, just one more query. Is it fine to use the WD Red in desktop as it is designed for NAS devices? Will it be ok as a standalone drive? I mean, NAS drives are usually configured in Raid, which won't be the case in my scenario at for now.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey, just one more query. Is it fine to use the WD Red in desktop as it is designed for NAS devices? Will it be ok as a standalone drive? I mean, NAS drives are usually configured in Raid, which won't be the case in my scenario at for now.
Yes, I use them in my computer, for 4 of them, great drives.