Strange behaviours

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Hi there,

I've had my PC for nearly a month and it's mostly amazing. I have had a few teething troubles and unexpected behaviours though and i would very much appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Potted history:
When the machine first arrived it worked fine straight from the off and i did all the updates and setup. (All windows updates installed, including optionals. I removed armoury crate. AMD drivers up to date via their adrenaline software)
What i did notice was that the start up was pretty slow, 20-30 seconds before the beep (after which start up was pretty quick).
On day two i started getting some beep codes (1 long and 3 short plus a couple of other variations) which either caused a restart or a blank screen from which i had to power off with the switch.
I therefore reseated the GPU and Memory sticks in their slots.
The beeps then stopped but i was still getting the 30 seconds to first beep and then 50/50 whether it would be fine or a blank screen.
90% of the time after the switch power down everything is fine without changes to bios (this mobo automatically sends you to bios when restarted from a switch power down).
I then ran memtest twice as recommended on other threads and got zero errors.
Then about a week ago, when i had spent a couple of days logging the odd behaviours and was about to start this thread, I also switched off fast boot and it began starting up everytime, albeit still initially slow to the beep.
Yesterday, however, it went to blank screen again but as usual worked fine after a hard shutdown.

In general, once it's on it's absolutely great. No problem running Starfield for a few straight hours, no crashes, no BSODs. Temps are good, performance is good. It just struggles to get started (which i can relate to but i'm much older than it is).

As i say, i would welcome any thoughts or recomendations on my next move in getting it sorted. Thanks.

Case
FRACTAL NORTH TG GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Eight Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.0GHz/104MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 4.0, Wi-Fi 6)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
20GB AMD RADEON™ RX 7900 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 4700MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 6500MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLIX XT RGB High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
ONBOARD 2.5Gbe LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.0 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Can yu please upload your System and Application logs?
  1. Enter the command eventvwr into the Run command box. The Event Viewer will open.
  2. Locate the Windows Logs folder in the left hand pane and expand it by clicking on the arrow (>) to the left of it.
  3. Right-click on the Application entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'Application' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).
  4. Right-click on the System entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'System' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).
  5. Zip the Application.evtx and System.evtx files together and upload the zip file here.
Also, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports and look in all the sub-folders for dump files (.dmp). Upload any that you find.

I'm trying to see whether your boot issues are related to something that's failing during normal operation but which recovers, so you don't notice.

No doubt others will have other things for you to try. :)

smallkube

Silver Level Poster

HI there,

Thanks for looking at this for me. The eventviewer files should be linked. Will grab and post the others asap but have to do bedtime.

Last edited:

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Can yu please upload your System and Application logs?
  1. Enter the command eventvwr into the Run command box. The Event Viewer will open.
  2. Locate the Windows Logs folder in the left hand pane and expand it by clicking on the arrow (>) to the left of it.
  3. Right-click on the Application entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'Application' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).
  4. Right-click on the System entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'System' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).
  5. Zip the Application.evtx and System.evtx files together and upload the zip file here.
Also, navigate to the folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports and look in all the sub-folders for dump files (.dmp). Upload any that you find.

I'm trying to see whether your boot issues are related to something that's failing during normal operation but which recovers, so you don't notice.

No doubt others will have other things for you to try. :)
These are the files from the live kernel folders

It booted first time today. is it worth uploading these again after the next forced restart?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Are there any driver updates listed under the 'View optional updates' link in Windows Update? If so, post a screenshot of that list.

The live dumps (dumps taken when Windows recovers from an error) were all taken when a black screen was displayed due to a hotkey press. I've never seen these bugchecks before, they are all VIDEO_MINIPORT_BLACK_SCREEN_LIVEDUMP with an exception code that indicates that...
Code:
Blackscreen hotkey generated miniport black screen live dump
As far as I can determine, this indicates that a black screen was displayed because a specific (hotkey) key combination was pressed. Does that make any sense? Does it make sense to anyone else? I had no idea that a key sequence could cause a black screen - nor why you might want to do this?

Issues with the boot drive can cause a slow startup, and I know from experience that M.2 drives can be flaky if they are not properly seated. The first thing I'd suggest then is that you remove both M.2 drives and reseat them fully, see whether that helps.

The general symptoms you describe (especially the beep sequence) suggests that a graphics issue may also be responsible. The graphics driver that you have installed is recent but it may not be current...
Code:
4: kd> lmDvmamdkmdag
Browse full module list
start             end                 module name
fffff802`8d710000 fffff802`93c16000   amdkmdag   (deferred)          
    Image path: amdkmdag.sys
    Image name: amdkmdag.sys
    Browse all global symbols  functions  data
    Timestamp:        Fri Nov 24 22:07:51 2023 (65610297)
    CheckSum:         064B73AB
    ImageSize:        06506000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
    Information from resource tables:
I would download the AMD Drivers and Support tool and use that to look for updated AMD drivers. Install any that it finds.

In your System log there are many warning messages for the graphics card...
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Display
Date:          11/12/2023 00:56:16
Event ID:      4125
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      ALLAMD
Description:
The description for Event ID 4125 from source Display cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
That these messages are display related lends more weight to this being a graphics issue I think.

I can see several crashes in the log too (error id 41) and that also tends to suggest a hardware cause. Software crashes are usually caught by the Windows kernel resulting in a BSOD. Are there any dump files in the folder C:\Windows\Minidump? If there are please upload those.

I don't see anything in your Application log that is a cause for concern.

Bottom line: ensure all drivers are up to date using the optional drivers in Windows Update - best to let us see the list first though - and via the AMD Driver and Support tool. If, once all the drivers are updated, you still get these startup problems then I suggest you contact PCS and seek their help and advice.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Are there any driver updates listed under the 'View optional updates' link in Windows Update? If so, post a screenshot of that list.

The live dumps (dumps taken when Windows recovers from an error) were all taken when a black screen was displayed due to a hotkey press. I've never seen these bugchecks before, they are all VIDEO_MINIPORT_BLACK_SCREEN_LIVEDUMP with an exception code that indicates that...
Code:
As far as I can determine, this indicates that a black screen was displayed because a specific (hotkey) key combination was pressed. Does that make any sense? Does it make sense to anyone else? I had no idea that a key sequence could cause a black screen - nor why you might want to do this?

Issues with the boot drive can cause a slow startup, and I know from experience that M.2 drives can be flaky if they are not properly seated. The first thing I'd suggest then is that you remove both M.2 drives and reseat them fully, see whether that helps.

The general symptoms you describe (especially the beep sequence) suggests that a graphics issue may also be responsible. The graphics driver that you have installed is recent but it may not be current...
Code:
Browse full module list
I would download the AMD Drivers and Support tool and use that to look for updated AMD drivers. Install any that it finds.

Code:
Description:
The description for Event ID 4125 from source Display cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
That these messages are display related lends more weight to this being a graphics issue I think.

I can see several crashes in the log too (error id 41) and that also tends to suggest a hardware cause. Software crashes are usually caught by the Windows kernel resulting in a BSOD. Are there any dump files in the folder C:\Windows\Minidump? If there are please upload those.

Bottom line: ensure all drivers are up to date using the optional drivers in Windows Update - best to let us see the list first though - and via the AMD Driver and Support tool. If, once all the drivers are updated, you still get these startup problems then I suggest you contact PCS and seek their help and advice.
Hi there,

Thanks so much for doing this. i will get onto the further files, updates and M2 reseating when i'm back at home but can confirm i was completely up to date with optional updates as of yesterday.

I just googled 'blackscreen hotkey' and i think that was me trying to bring up the display by using a toggle black screen combo per some troubleshooting tips so apologies but that's a red herring of my creation.

Will upload any dumps and let you know how i get on with the rest. Thanks again.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster

Code:

Code:
Browse full module list

Code:
Description:

Ok, so i've reseated the drives and done all the AMD recommended updates via the installer. I can't see any minidumps, which i'll take as a good. thing. Everything is working fine right now so i will monitor it and come back if there are further issues. thanks again for helping me out. Fingers crossed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If it fails again look for any new live kernel dumps (C:\Windows\LiveKernelDumps) and upload them. Also export and upload your System and Application logs again.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
Hello again. so, after a solid 10 days without failure, this morning at 9.30 i got the restart and black screen again. I've therefore uploaded the logs with the latest data. There don't appear to be any new files in the livekerneldumps. Please could you take a look when you get a chance. Thanks.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
HI there. After a month of error free start ups and glorious gaming, I've had two go awry in the last twenty four hours. Both times there was a quick single beep, followed by a restart which then did 2 short beeps and black screen (all lights and fans on). Both times it's worked perfectly after a power switch shutdown and restarting via bios. There were no new reports generated in the livekernel folders. The only recent change i can think of was an AMD driver update a couple of days before this issue started again. I did the full ddu reinstal last night but today when i switched it on i had to restart twice. Both times it was two beeps and then a black screen.

I'm in now and have done the log reports:

I would be much obliged if someone could take a look and give me a steer on what it might be or what else i could try.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't see anything in the System log that indicates any failures that would cause a shutdown. That is a strong indication of a hardware cause - the hardware just failed underneath Windows giving it no opportunity to BSOD or recover. There are many errors for the GameInput Service but I very much doubt they are causing the shutdowns...
Code:
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          04/02/2024 19:42:41
Event ID:      7034
Level:         Error
Description:
The GameInput Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 6 time(s).
These may however be related to errors we see in your Application log...

In the Application log there are a lot of errors for the EpicGamesLauncher.exe executable. The failures however are happening in a Windows dll - ntdll.dll - and always at the same offset in the module...
Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          03/02/2024 10:45:17
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: Application Crashing Events
Keywords:   
User:          S-1-5-21-2072297570-3236270666-4293789681-1001
Description:
Faulting application name: EpicGamesLauncher.exe, version: 15.21.0.0, time stamp: 0x65b1b6cd
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.3085, time stamp: 0xbced4b82
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000033aca
Faulting process ID: 0x0x2238
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1da567d4fd633f5
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\Launcher\Portal\Binaries\Win64\EpicGamesLauncher.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report ID: ae17988d-d075-490d-9bc0-b6e02597d78f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
The exception is a 0xC0000005 (invalid memory access) and this might indicate a corrupted Windows installation. I would suggest you run an sfc/scannow command and then reboot.

However, looking back through this thread there may be a common component; the boot drive. The ntdll.dll executable is dynamically loaded from the system drive so a problem in reading from this drive would cause ntdll.dll to be corrupted. In addition there is at least one error for Fast Startup. This hibernates the kernel on shutdown and restores it on a restart. The error I'm seeing indicates a problem with the subsequent restore...
Code:
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot
Date:          04/02/2024 19:12:02
Event ID:      29
Keywords:      (8796093022208)
User:          SYSTEM
Description:
Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot" Guid="{15ca44ff-4d7a-4baa-bba5-0998955e531e}" />
    <EventID>29</EventID>
    <Version>1</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000080000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2024-02-04T17:12:02.7950613Z" />
    <EventRecordID>21559</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>ALLAMD</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="FailureStatus">3221225684</Data>
    <Data Name="FailureMsg">A fatal error occurred processing the restoration data.
</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Notice the failure message near the bottom of the XML data: A fatal error occurred processing the restoration data. That points pretty strongly at a failure with the hibernation file, and that's on the system drive.

If you have not yet reseated your system drive the please do so. I'm seeing a lot of issues caused by poorly seated M.2 drives so a remove and reseat is well worth your time.

I would then run a chkdsk /f /x command on your system drive to check for filesystem errors.

If you still have problems after that then please call PCS, point them at this thread and ask whether they would consider RMAing your system NVMe drive? You will of course have to reinstall everything on the new drive if they do that. And if you do reinstall Windows on a new drive please physically remove/disconnect both other drives. You only want one active drive when installing Windows.

Last edited:

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
That's amazing. I will start working through this when i get home today. Thanks again for your help.