Sudden Choppy Display on Fullscreen/Borderless Windowed (All Games)

Pepsi_Jamie

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

Yesterday, I wanted to play Overwatch as it's currently the winter event. However, I immediately noticed that (despite high framerates of 60-120) the display was choppy, stuttery, and had more screen tearing than I've ever seen before. The same issues applied in Heroes of the Storm, where I'd have high framerates of 60-140 without noticeable stuttering/more tearing than usual. In an attempt to fix this, I uninstalled my GPU Drivers and re-installed both the previous and current drivers to no success. I then cleaned my laptop fans and re-applied thermal paste in case that was the issue, again to no success.

I quickly noticed that the display issues only occur when it's in fullscreen and borderless window. When it's in windowed mode, it's fine, but the camera on some games creates issues with this, making it unplayable. I've also noticed that vysnc removes the issues, but it also generates noticeable input lag (again, not ideal).

I was hoping you could help me out here, seeing as you guys been helpful in the past.

I also recorded the issue from my phone camera (sorry for the poor quality, but it should be noticeable).
In the first part of the video, you can see that the display is buttery smooth in windowed mode. The moment it goes into fullscreen, it starts screen tearing with stuttering issues.

[video=youtube;jOUzatNipJA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOUzatNipJA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Specifications:
Clevo P17SM-A
Intel Core i7 4940MX
32GB RAM
GTX 980M
Samsung EVO 1TB SSD

Edit: I plugged a HDMI cable and another cable into a TV and another monitor. The problem still persisted where the screen tearing/stuttering was bad on both screens in fullscreen + windowed borderless.

Last edited: