Sudden Graphics Card Problems

So I was sitting happily playing FFXIV this afternoon and suddenly the image broke up for a second and the screen went black.

I connected the monitor to the HDMI output on my motherboard and got a picture, the computer was stuck in a loop of blue screening complaining about nvlddmkm failing.
I was able to fix that by booting into safe mode, uninstalling the graphics card, reinstalling it with the latest drivers, removing the old nvlddmkm.sys and extracting a new one from the nvidia drivers folder on the C drive.

Now the computer is correctly booting and the graphics card is seen by the system, but when I boot up the computer with the display port cable connected to the graphics card, all I get is a black screen. It is outputting something, the monitor does stay on but all it outputs is a black screen. I can't tell if there is another software issue I've not been able to fix or if the card has died.

I have noticed that under the device manager, the graphics card is showing with "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)".

It feels like there is a hardware problem with either the graphics card or the PSU but I can't figure out which.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Why, after reinstalling the Nvidia driver did you replace nvlddmkm.sys with a different copy? nvlddmkm.sys is the Nvidia driver, it would have been wiser to not mess with that.

I would repeat your graphics card uninstall and reinstall of the driver and then test it without other modifications.

I had initially used device manager to uninstall the card and ticked the box to remove the drivers from the computer. I reinstalled the drivers for the card and had no luck.

I had read a few guides and couple of them mentioned replacing nvlddmkm.sys so I thought it was worth a try.

I replaced the 1080 with an old GTX 670 I had laying around, installed it, and it worked fine so I reasoned that the problem must be the 1080.

I've ordered an RTX2070 Super to keep me going until the RTX 3000 series cards are released but while I'm waiting for it to arrive I'll definitely give DDU a try.

Why, after reinstalling the Nvidia driver did you replace nvlddmkm.sys with a different copy? nvlddmkm.sys is the Nvidia driver, it would have been wiser to not mess with that.

I would repeat your graphics card uninstall and reinstall of the driver and then test it without other modifications.

I tried DDU there but there's no change.

The 1080 is still showing as "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)" and not outputting any picture. I think it's just that the card has died. I have an RTX2070 Super on the way to replace it so hopefully will be back up and running in a few days.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I tried DDU there but there's no change.

The 1080 is still showing as "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)" and not outputting any picture. I think it's just that the card has died. I have an RTX2070 Super on the way to replace it so hopefully will be back up and running in a few days.
Does sound like a hardware failure if the card is failing to start after using DDU. Double check as the old GPU may still be in warranty with the manufacturer.

Does sound like a hardware failure if the card is failing to start after using DDU. Double check as the old GPU may still be in warranty with the manufacturer.

Yeah, I bought the computer back in March 2017 so it's probably out of warranty now.

It's just a shame that it couldn't have waited to die until the RTX 3000 series cards were released, lol. I was planning on getting an RTX 3080Ti.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, I bought the computer back in March 2017 so it's probably out of warranty now.

It's just a shame that it couldn't have waited to die until the RTX 3000 series cards were released, lol. I was planning on getting an RTX 3080Ti.
Still worth checking to be sure, it probably is out of warranty but it takes 5 minutes to type in the serial on the website to confirm. Some manufacturers do 5 year warranties.

3080ti is going to be an absolute monster of a card, I have no doubt, think it's going to utterly transform 4k and RTX gaming.

Still worth checking to be sure, it probably is out of warranty but it takes 5 minutes to type in the serial on the website to confirm. Some manufacturers do 5 year warranties.

3080ti is going to be an absolute monster of a card, I have no doubt, think it's going to utterly transform 4k and RTX gaming.

Would you believe it the warranty is three years so it just ran out in March. lol.

Oh well, the 2070 should keep me going until the 3080 is released.