Sudden slow down of PC (Nvidia card not being utilized?)

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Try putting a rubber band over screwhead and then use correct screw driver. Sometimes it helps to grip it enough to turn. The next thing to try is to use a screw extractor head, but that’s prob too much force for a laptop.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If nothing works I tend to use a dremmel to grind a slot in to use a plain screwdriver. Not ideal, but needs must. at times.

Another option is to grind 2 flats on the screw and use pliers.

None of it is fun though, especially on your pride and joy.

Rairun

Bronze Level Poster
Try putting a rubber band over screwhead and then use correct screw driver. Sometimes it helps to grip it enough to turn. The next thing to try is to use a screw extractor head, but that’s prob too much force for a laptop.
Sometimes you don't even need that trick, just wearing disposable rubber gloves gives you the necessary grip. It really helped last time I needed to open my laptop. If the screw is completely stripped it might not work, though. I thought mine had been stripped (and it was a bit), but when you're wearing gloves your fingers won't slip at all, so it's a lot easier to keep the screwdriver completely straight. Your arm is more than strong enough to undo the screw, the failure point is almost always your fingers.

Last edited:

connmal

Sadly it was stripped to begin with but even more stripped with my attempts to get it out 😅. I tried all the tricks in the book, rubber band the screw glue stuff you get from the hardware store thats supposed to extract these screws. No luck. The only other thing Ive saw is people using drills which Im no all that comfortable with doing 😅 At this point I might just have to wait till im back in the UK and send it to PCS since itll still be in warranty. I do not want to accidentally break this 1700 quid laptop. No ty lol

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sadly it was stripped to begin with but even more stripped with my attempts to get it out 😅. I tried all the tricks in the book, rubber band the screw glue stuff you get from the hardware store thats supposed to extract these screws. No luck. The only other thing Ive saw is people using drills which Im no all that comfortable with doing 😅 At this point I might just have to wait till im back in the UK and send it to PCS since itll still be in warranty. I do not want to accidentally break this 1700 quid laptop. No ty lol
I would certainly suggest RMA'ing it if it's that bad, I realise it shouldn't have happened in the first place, but as you say, it's worth keeping warranty intact, and drilling is not an option IMHO on a warrantied product. PCS will sort it, and it's worth highlighting it to them in the first place if nothing more than to make them aware to help avoid this happening to someone else.