Surge Protectors

andjac

Bronze Level Poster
Looking at getting some new surge protectors, anyone got any recommendations?
Setup: PC, couple of monitors, TPlink home plug
So ideally 5 sockets or more with adequate amount of joules protection

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Looking at getting some new surge protectors, anyone got any recommendations?
Setup: PC, couple of monitors, TPlink home plug
So ideally 5 sockets or more with adequate amount of joules protection
What’s your budget? If you want something professional they can be rather pricey, but good ones can be around the 20-40 mark

andjac

Bronze Level Poster
Would have probably tried to keep it under £70, £40 would ofcourse preferable

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Would have probably tried to keep it under £70, £40 would ofcourse preferable
Perfect budget.

APC are very highly rated, they make all the industry standard UPS protection supplies and are really high quality.

Theres a good 8 port here with 5 star reviews:

andjac

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the guidance!
Their model without the COAX protection offers like half the amount Joule which seems stupid, may as well spend the extra £10 to protect all this expensive equipment

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the guidance!
Their model without the COAX protection offers like half the amount Joule which seems stupid, may as well spend the extra £10 to protect all this expensive equipment
Yeah, I don't get why they did that, seems a bit odd.

Stephen M

Author Level
Thanks for the link, will be needing a new surge protector soon.

One of the things I can never get are the people who will spend 1000s on great equipment but then refuse to buy a surge protector. Plugging quality kit direct to a wall socket is better than bearing the wires and lodging them in with matches but that is about it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the link, will be needing a new surge protector soon.

One of the things I can never get are the people who will spend 1000s on great equipment but then refuse to buy a surge protector. Plugging quality kit direct to a wall socket is better than bearing the wires and lodging them in with matches but that is about it.
I always go overboard rather than under, as you say, when you've got high end equipment, it's worth investing in high quality stuff to support it. I actually bought a surge protector which was so highly rated, it actually includes insurance so if the thing fails, all the hardware is covered by the insurance :ROFLMAO:

But then, I couldn't survive a day without my tech, I'd self combust or something, I'm fairly certain.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I don't see the point in paying serious money just for a surge protector when a UPS does so much more. I just upgraded mine to a 1.5kVA model that I can manage from the PC (and do auto shutdowns if the power is off for a specific length of time). It cost me €120 here on Crete (where stuff like this tends to be a tad more expensive because we're on an island). That's about £105 at today's rate. Not only do I get surge protection but power flicks (which happen here now and then) don't bother me at all. :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I don't see the point in paying serious money just for a surge protector when a UPS does so much more. I just upgraded mine to a 1.5kVA model that I can manage from the PC (and do auto shutdowns if the power is off for a specific length of time). It cost me €120 here on Crete (where stuff like this tends to be a tad more expensive because we're on an island). That's about £105 at today's rate. Not only do I get surge protection but power flicks (which happen here now and then) don't bother me at all. :)

That starts to add up though if I want to protect say a TV, a laptop, a server a couple of games consoles all dotted around the house.