System Configurator.

silver-crow

In the past I've always taken my time and built my own pc, based on my own research of what's hot, and to ensure I don't have any issues with memory compatibility etc.
The question I have is... how intelligent is the system configurator on the pcs main site. e.g.

- Does it take into account a motherboards qualified vendor list when it comes to memory or is it just combinations that have been tried in the past and found to work.
- with each case is there a review of what can actually be fitted inside it, e.g. some cases like the corsair carbide air 240 allow full water cooling, a full sized psu a full length graphics card and yet still be a micro/mini atx case.

Just wondering, as I've a very specific build list of components in mind, but if there's perfectly good equivalents I can get built from scratch, it would save me a lot of hassle and I would just get it built.

From my own reading I was looking at

Case - Corsair carbide series Air 240.
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX
CPU - Intel Core I7-4790K 4.00GHz Devil's Canyon
Memory - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory kit (CMD16GX3M2A2400C10)
Heatsink - Corsair Hydro H100i Liquid Cooler
SSD - Crucial M500 480GB M.2 Sata 6Gb/s SSD (CT480M500SSD4)
Second Hard Disk - Something Large like Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD204UI / ST2000DL004)
PSU - Corsair RM Series RM 1000 '80+ Gold' 1000W Power supply (CP-9020062-UK)
GPU - Gigabyte Geforce GTX 780Ti Windforce 3x OC 3072MB (GV-N78TOC-3GD)

Then some additional fans assuming there's room in the box.
I've already got an external DVD drive, but might look at upgrading this as it's quite old

I know there's a bit of a gigabyte/corsair theme going on here, but I've certainly found in the past, that things just tend to work better together if they're from the same vendor.

bit of a specific build I know, hence the question about how intelligent is the configurator. Is it giving you informed tried and tested combos, or is it really quite dumb and will allow you to pick invalid choices e.g. a dvd drive in an air 240 box.

A314159

Super Star
Configurator is pretty intelligent, and at the very least once ordered if there is a problem with the configuration you will be notified and can make arrangements.