System Shock

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Apparently according to this post System Shock series may be returning to our PC's thorugh GOG and Steam, Hope this happens as its a series everyone seems to talk about but i never played it. I know it was a previous incarnation of the Shock series but the story is apparently pretty terrifying.

>THE ARTICLE<

sted

Rising Star
If I recall, people say this was like a pre-Bioshock (I think that's what you're referring to, aswell?), but I've watched videos (if it is the one I am thinking of) and it has never real appealed to the gamer in me. :/

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah i think the look of the game keeps putting me of i keep thinking how big a head ache going back and playing Doom makes me feel

Toxophilix

Bright Spark
I would love this. Both System Shocks were great and the first was one of my favourite games of all time. In a way it was just standard RPG fare with an SF twist - start out with crap weapons, kill stuff, get better weapons, kill more stuff - but in storyline and atmosphere it was something else. Very dodgy graphics compared with today but I think that contributed to its power - so much was left to your imagination.

The similarity with Bioshock, I think, is that you are introduced into this closed-in world which has gone hideously wrong.

Iirc Looking Glass, who produced System Shock, also produced the Ultima Underworld games a couple of years earlier, which were the first first-person RPGs (afaik) and inspired the whole Elder Scrolls series (according to Todd Howard anyway).

With that said, I don't know if you can go back in time so far. The difference in graphical quality may be an insuperable barrier. I revere Elite, also, but I'm not sure I would really want to play the original again. (Hmm, might though ...)