Taking a GPU on a plane

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Hey guys, In a couple weeks I'm going to America and I plan on buying a GPU out there as I can save nearly £100. I will then need to take it on the flight back to the UK.

Does anyone know if I can take a graphics card on hand luggage? I'd prefer not to put it in my suitcase because it'll probably get smashed or something.

I just don't want to buy it and then find out that I can't take it back with me.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
If its in your hand luggage you may have to pay tax, making the savings pretty much nothing. Don't forget a graphics card tends to come in a pretty big box, much bigger than the card itself and would barely fit in hand luggage anyway

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
If its in your hand luggage you may have to pay tax, making the savings pretty much nothing. Don't forget a graphics card tends to come in a pretty big box, much bigger than the card itself and would barely fit in hand luggage anyway

Hmm, do you know what tax I would have to pay? I can get the GPU for £305 in the UK or £233 in the US.

And I was more concerned they might not let me take it on the plane, the US are super strict at their airports and I'd prefer just to buy it in England than get me and my family held up at the airport and not be able to take it with me or something!

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hmm, do you know what tax I would have to pay? I can get the GPU for £305 in the UK or £233 in the US.

And I was more concerned they might not let me take it on the plane, the US are super strict at their airports and I'd prefer just to buy it in England than get me and my family held up at the airport and not be able to take it with me or something!

you wouldn't pay any taxes, you have allowances when it is for personal use. You won't be held up at the airport by bringing a GPU.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Also, surely the plane ticket cost more than the £100 saving?! :D

Yeah, but my parents bought it, so it's free for me!

I don't mind putting it in the suitcase, since travel insurance will cover the loss or damage of it. I just don't want to get there and be told I can't take it on the plane or have to pay 50% import tax or something stupid!

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
As of last week, the US are now hot on any electronic devices in your hand luggage. Granted this is phones, iPods (other MP3 devices are available...but no one uses them), tablets etc. However, with this new crackdown, a large box with something that has a lot of circuits and fans and stuff might just be of "interest" to them :)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
you wouldn't pay any taxes, you have allowances when it is for personal use. You won't be held up at the airport by bringing a GPU.

Are you sure? The US are so strict with their airport checks that I wouldn't be suprised if they just wouldn't let me take it.

And so no tax would be added?

I guess worst comes to the worst I can ship it to the UK and still save money and just wait a week for it to arrive!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
personally I wouldn't bother getting it in the US, especially as the US have recently upped their security on electronics, as stated above, and you may risk losing it completely.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
As of last week, the US are now hot on any electronic devices in your hand luggage. Granted this is phones, iPods (other MP3 devices are available...but no one uses them), tablets etc. However, with this new crackdown, a large box with something that has a lot of circuits and fans and stuff might just be of "interest" to them :)

Yeah, that only covers devices with batteries though. I don't mind having to take it out of my luggage and showing them or whatever, as long as they let me take it! I don't feel comfortable with it being in my suitcase, they might decide it's something else and just destroy my luggage or something...

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have done it before, not aware of what restrictions are introduced now but I would be very surprise for a restriction in GPUs in your hand luggage.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
I have done it before, not aware of what restrictions are introduced now but I would be very surprise for a restriction in GPUs in your hand luggage.

Yeah, we're flying with BA, so I might send them an email just to check, obviously I'd prefer to save £70 instead of spending it, but If I can't then I'll just buy it here.

Last edited:

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Also, I could get a R9 290X for the price of a 290 in the UK. Do you think I should stick with the 290 or spend the extra money to get the 290X?

Rakk

The Awesome
Looking here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm, it looks like you would have to pay customs duty/import VAT if you are bringing in more than £390's worth of stuff you have bought there (so that will the GPU and anything else you get as well - its a total, not a per item amount), but yeah confirming that with someone official is probably useful

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Looking here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm, it looks like you would have to pay customs duty/import VAT if you are bringing in more than £390's worth of stuff you have bought there (so that will the GPU and anything else you get as well - its a total, not a per item amount), but yeah confirming that with someone official is probably useful

Well the GPU is £220 so I can still buy a bit more stuff, or just shove it in my brothers suitcase! :p

I've emailed BA and hopefully they can confirm I can take the GPU with me. I just need to decide if I get the 290 or 290X and which model, either the sapphire Tri-X or Vapour-X!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The vapour-x products are fantastic and I would imagine would be even more effective on the 290x as it runs quite hot. The 3 fan version is extremely noisy when gaming, I'd say go with the vapour-x.

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
The vapour-x products are fantastic and I would imagine would be even more effective on the 290x as it runs quite hot. The 3 fan version is extremely noisy when gaming, I'd say go with the vapour-x.

Yeah, I've read that the difference between the 290 and 290X isn't that much because the 290 can get higher OC as it has less shader units. The Vapour-X looks pretty cool, has a backplate, comes with an OC and has a better warranty, plus it's cheaper than buying the Tri-X in the UK!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Just to clarify one point made earlier.

I guess worst comes to the worst I can ship it to the UK and still save money and just wait a week for it to arrive!

You will then have to pay royal mail any tax due (before they will deliver it to you) + a collection fee, which if I remember rightly is quite expensive in itself. I know this because I looked into it a while back, I am forever buying something that you can buy VAT free from the likes of the USA or even some other countries in the EU. However as soon as it lands here the customs people will spy it and write you a bill for it. (most of the time anyway)

PlayStationMike

Dude I don't see a problem and many people did it before. Stick it to the hand luggage, make sure the box will be factory sealed and you will have a receipt, that's all mate :)

GeorgeHillier

Prolific Poster
Just to clarify one point made earlier.

You will then have to pay royal mail any tax due (before they will deliver it to you) + a collection fee, which if I remember rightly is quite expensive in itself. I know this because I looked into it a while back, I am forever buying something that you can buy VAT free from the likes of the USA or even some other countries in the EU. However as soon as it lands here the customs people will spy it and write you a bill for it. (most of the time anyway)

Yeah, hopefully I can take it on the plane! But if I had to then I'd prefer to pay the tax and shipping than leave the card there!