Taped wires found during upgrading ram

Rikeshp

Hi I decided to upgrade my ram and I've just got the case opened now and found some wires with tap over them that may have come loose when opening the case. I'm just a bit worried that something will happen since these wires aren't connected. Here are some images

Any help asap would be great as one of the screws were stripped and took a long time to take out so I'd rather not put the ram in screw it all back up and then have to open it again
Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi I decided to upgrade my ram and I've just got the case opened now and found some wires with tap over them that may have come loose when opening the case. I'm just a bit worried that something will happen since these wires aren't connected. Here are some images

Any help asap would be great as one of the screws were stripped and took a long time to take out so I'd rather not put the ram in screw it all back up and then have to open it again
Thanks
Can you post your full specs and an image of the entire uncovered underside, try and make it not blurry.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Here are some more images

Specs are
Optimus VIII
I5 7300hq
Gtx 1050ti
500 GB hard drive
120 GB ssd
Memory card reader
Bluetooth
Wireless etc
Thanks, that helps, although I still have no idea what those wires are actually for.... I would isolate those cables so they don't short anything on the board, cover the ends in electrical tape or something. Then I'd run it with the cover off on a wooden table, see if it all boots correctly, check things like speaker output, bluetooth. I can't for the life of me work out what they're relating to.

Rikeshp

Thanks, that helps, although I still have no idea what those wires are actually for.... I would isolate those cables so they don't short anything on the board, cover the ends in electrical tape or something. Then I'd run it with the cover off on a wooden table, see if it all boots correctly, check things like speaker output, bluetooth. I can't for the life of me work out what they're relating to.
Unfortunately I don't have any electrical tape. Would it be okay to run the laptop on a wooden table as the parts would be touching the table?

The wire seems to run from something with a serial number of
Wgt n35odv LTE-2_rev.A1

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Unfortunately I don't have any electrical tape. Would it be okay to run the laptop on a wooden table as the parts would be touching the table?

The wire seems to run from something with a serial number of
Wgt n35odv LTE-2_rev.A1
Can you take a photo of it?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If it says LTE it's perhaps for a mobile data card / modem and those are the wires to the antenna?

Rikeshp

Yeah I pulled them out so nothing moved so pulled it a bit more and the one on the left came off from the thing next to it
So now when I put the ram in I can't get the thing to hold it down

Rikeshp

Ok I've just put 1 latch on holding it down and the ram seems to be working/shows up. Will update if anything happens. As for the taped wired I covered it in tape and not sure what it does but will let you know if I ever find out
Cheers for the help guys

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
The wires are as Oussebon said, the LTE wires. As you didn't order any LTE compatible hardware the wires are left were the manufacturer routes them. It looks like the ends are exposed so id at least make sure the blue wrapping covers the ends.
Ram wise (although you've fitted it now) you don't need to interact with the latches when fitting ram, you put the ram in at a 45 degree angle until its fully home and then carefully press the ram stick to lay it flat. those latches then click into place holding the ram down. (however if you have been pushing or pulling on the latches independently then it might not do that any more.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If that were mine I would not rely on electrical tape to cover the bare ends and selotape won't last long at all. Find some heat shrink wrap tubing like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-612...=electrical+shrink+wrap&qid=1577696993&sr=8-9, slide the appropriate size tube over the bare ends and heat it up with a hair dryer. The tube will shrink over the ends of the wires providing perfect insulation that will not degrade or come off. If you should ever need to remove it you just make a longitudinal cut with a sharp craft knife and peel it away.

To be brutally honest I believe that PCS should do this automatically in cases where the LTE antenna (or anything else) isn't connected.