Tax for ROI customers

Citrus_9

Expert
Does anyone know if PCS planning to do something with customers in Ireland who buy PC to help them not needing to pay import and other additional tax after the 1st of January? I guess a lot of Irish customers will think of buying from the EU rather than the UK as previously. Even now if somebody from ROI buys a PC, it will be most likely not delivered by the 1st of January which would mean additional tax to receivers. Maybe PCS is thinking to open a warehouse in the EU mainland for deliveries within the EU?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Does anyone know if PCS planning to do something with customers in Ireland who buy PC to help them not needing to pay import and other additional tax after the 1st of January? I guess a lot of Irish customers will think of buying from EU rather than the UK as previously. Even now if somebody from ROI buy a PC, it will be most likely not delivered by the 1st of January which would mean additional tax to receivers. Maybe PCS is thinking to open a warehouse in the EU mainland for deliveries with the EU?
You’d have to ask PCS themselves, it’s not something we can answer. I guess they’ll be bound by whatever trade implications there are.

Oh I just notice that now glad my pc arrived 2 weeks ago
Does anyone know if PCS planning to do something with customers in Ireland who buy PC to help them not needing to pay import and other additional tax after the 1st of January? I guess a lot of Irish customers will think of buying from the EU rather than the UK as previously. Even now if somebody from ROI buys a PC, it will be most likely not delivered by the 1st of January which would mean additional tax to receivers. Maybe PCS is thinking to open a warehouse in the EU mainland for deliveries within the EU?

Citrus_9

Expert
It depends on the trade deal (if any). If there is no deal and the EU and the UK trade on WTO terms then computers and computer products are tariff free. See https://www.wto.org/english/news_e/pres97_e/pr70_e.htm
Thanks! You may be right!
But WTO rules don't always mean tariffs.

Not all UK exporters will be faced with new tariffs under WTO rules. Some goods and services will remain tariff free, and so will not differ from that which is already in place. Examples include:
► Packaged software(i.e. DVDs with software to be installed on a local drive) and computer hardware will generally be classed as a product, which is covered by the 1996 WTO Information Technology Agreement. This Agreement,ensures these high technology products are tariff-free; and
► Software hosted and used online(i.e. cloud-based or software-as-a-service) is classed as a service rather than a product as it doesn't involve the provision of a physical good. Under the General Agreement on Trade in Service,international sale of services between WTO members is tariff-free (see below for more information on services).